Start-up question....

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Kickten Nutz

Start-up question....

Post by Kickten Nutz »

Please help me to figure this out...... Two days ago, I rode my 2015 RT to work (30 minutes) at -6 degrees, parked in a parking garage (not heated) and walked away for the eight hour day. When I returned and tried to start the bike, all electronics activated as normal and the bike did crank over, albeit slowly but would not start. As I noticed the attempt slowing, I released the starter button and after a few seconds, made another attempt with the same results. Fearing that I would deplete the battery, I removed a jump-pack from my side bag that I carry during the cold weather times, and began setting it up. Because this took a moment, I thought that maybe the battery had regained enough charge and so made another attempt to start the bike but this time, it wouldn't even turn over despite all electronics seeming to work as normal. Therefore, I turned back to the jump-pack and continued setting it up but just before connecting the cables to the battery I gave the ignition one last try and this time, the bike came to life and fired right up as if nothing was wrong, even the voltage read was at 14. I just put a brand new ion battery in it less than 500 miles ago because of the impending cold weather and because the OEM battery was beginning to die off at 40,000 miles. As a little test, yesterday, I rode my 2014 Honda CRF250L to work under the same conditions (even parked in the exact same spot) and when I went to leave the bike fired right up as if it were a summer afternoon and it has the OEM battery in it with about 10,000 miles. So, can someone help me to understand why the RT had such a hard time? If anything, I would have thought that the little Honda would have been the one to give me grief about starting up in those conditions. My bikes are kept in a heated garage and all are kept on a Battery Tender except for the RT because it is ridden almost daily. Thanks in advance for the help.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Start-up question....

Post by T6pilot »

Many others have experienced the same issue with Ion batteries, seems they do not like cold weather, and need to be warmed (start attempts) before they will produce enough amps for starting
By the way what brand and model did you select, just asking

Jim
Jim
Kickten Nutz

Post by Kickten Nutz »

It is a Shorai Lithium Battery LFX21L6-BS12 #LFX21L6-BS12
LAF

Post by LAF »

That is what makes them a bad match for cold climates.

You need to turn on the bike or aux. lights or something to draw the battery and make it warm up then push the start button.  It needs to be warmed up by use before it reaches a charged state.

Why I wont run one here in PA.  Warm climates not a thought, cold climates it needs to activate.  That is why in your garage it is fine.  And after the bike started it shows good charge.
Kickten Nutz

Post by Kickten Nutz »

So if it needs to warm up before starting, how long should I wait to hit the ignition button? The auxiliary lights come on with the headlight, will that be enough?