Considering a used r1200rt (14-17)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
davenva

Considering a used r1200rt (14-17)

Post by davenva »

I went into a bike shop today looking for an accessory and I  almost walked out with a R1200rt. My current rides a 2008 goldwing. I love the bike for two up riding, and I was considering a second bike I could use for commuting to work. I wasn't considering BMWs before today. Now I am in full research mode on this bike. 
They had gently used 2017 r1220rt, and I would consider anything from 2017-2014. Are there any differences in those year ranges?

Also as a shorter rider I can tip toe the bike wen standing with a stock seat. What have other shorter riders noticed with the bike? 

I will test ride once this cold spell breaks. As someone new to BMW, any tips would be appreciated.

cheers

Littlebriar

Re: Considering a used r1200rt (14-17)

Post by Littlebriar »

2017 model has improved clutch which improves "clunking" when shifting in lower gears.
The seat has 2 positions to adjust seat height. There is also a factory lower seat option. I would guess the dealer would trade out the seat if you insisted. I have 29" inseam with factory low seat in high mounted position. No problem.
Steve
davenva

Post by davenva »

Thanks Steve!
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

I came back to the bike in November 2017 after nearly 40 years. After a lot of research and a week of test rides I picked up my RT, and wrongly-recorded SE which I suspect is an LE version, all the toys (except the stereo and rocket launchers). 3500 miles, 15 months old, and am delighted with it. Got some videos here https://youtu.be/E3vsvTFBaLQ but they may be a little basic for an experienced rider like yourself. See also https://t.co/RCVacrVikx

davenva

Post by davenva »

Bike2Bike,

I wil have to look for an after market rocket launcher. Shouldn't be that hard to find here in the states. Thanks for the videos. I was wondering about the r1200gs. Your videos game me a good view on that back. I am hoping to someday do a tour of Europe your videos got me researching that now. I am looking forward to test riding this machine real soon. safe travels

Cheers
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

davenva wrote: I went into a bike shop today looking for an accessory and I  almost walked out with a R1200rt. My current rides a 2008 goldwing. I love the bike for two up riding, and I was considering a second bike I could use for commuting to work. I wasn't considering BMWs before today. Now I am in full research mode on this bike. 
They had gently used 2017 r1220rt, and I would consider anything from 2017-2014. Are there any differences in those year ranges?
Also as a shorter rider I can tip toe the bike wen standing with a stock seat. What have other shorter riders noticed with the bike? 
I will test ride once this cold spell breaks. As someone new to BMW, any tips would be appreciated.
[size=78%]cheers[/size]

To all intents and purposes, that bike is the same from 2014 onward. The major difference is the gearchange. If you are happy with the gearchange on the pre 2017 models, stick with that and save yourself some money.
Obtaining low seats is not a problem. However the seats are pretty rubbish and would be an item I would consider getting a replacement item for.
Also, the windscreen can be changed to one that works! (the stock screen is rubbish. I have fitted a Werks Quiet Ride - 24" and it works brilliantly. So too do the Aeroflow screens.

Here's a more important thing. Do you ride 2 up? If so, test tide with your passenger and wear your winter gear. The bike will be nowhere near as roomy as a wing. I find my Wethead tight for space between me and my pillion (when compared to my lovely Oilhead).

davenva

Post by davenva »

Bandytales,
Thanks I will have to try out the two bikes to see if I notice a difference in the gears. I might even try the k1600gt. 
Awesome tip about the windshield. thanks
My passenger has stated she has no interest in riding the BMW. She said this bike is for me to ride solo. So I don't have to worry about the pillion issue.
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

I researched the RT all summer and bought a 2015 LE spec 6 weeks ago. Having never ridden anything this big before I was a little nervous at first but very pleased with the bike, The engine has so much torque it is a pleasure to ride. I agree that the screen is not brilliant and I don't like raising it to it's highest position so I might look to change it one day when I have some spare cash. I have to think ahead where I park the bike as it's not easy to move whilst sitting on it, which I was used to before as rode mostly 600 cc bikes that were a lot lighter.
Weaving through traffic is also a no no at the moment as it is quite wide and not got the confidence yet.
Only thing I can say is take a test ride if there is one available near you. There wasn't one near me but I have no regrets.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

davenva wrote: Bandytales,
Thanks I will have to try out the two bikes to see if I notice a difference in the gears. I might even try the k1600gt. 
Awesome tip about the windshield. thanks
My passenger has stated she has no interest in riding the BMW. She said this bike is for me to ride solo. So I don't have to worry about the pillion issue.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the K1600. I have tried this a few times and find it to be a characterless heavy beast. It does come alive when you scream it, but why have a 1600 and rev it? that's the choice for a small multi! The 1200 feels so much more engaging and will be more than a match for it except in the higher speed arenas.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I had a GTL before my '16 RT, it's heavy, the gearbox was rubbish (now addressed, apparently.) It eats tyres and steering joints. The finish on the engine and running gear must have been done with water colour paint as it peels off. Depreciation was rapid owing to all of the above. On the plus side the engine is sublime it handles well and is a great bike to ride. I'm happier on the RT.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Being 5' 4" and inside leg of 28 most bikes are a challenge. My '10 RT is low chassis and low seat, get both feet down. Can just about paddle it around on flat ground, have to get off and push when it slopes. Would love a reverse like the K1600GTL.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Ganesh wrote: Being 5' 4" and inside leg of 28 most bikes are a challenge. My '10 RT is low chassis and low seat, get both feet down. Can just about paddle it around on flat ground, have to get off and push when it slopes. Would love a reverse like the K1600GTL.

Well I am 5'10" and can touch the floor easily, but I too wouldn't mind a reverse. I went out for a ride on Sunday and was riding down a narrow down hill  muddy country lane when I came across a very flooded section of road (more than 2' deep), so I had to turn the bike around in the width of that muddy road. A reverse would have made a huge difference to that maneuver.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

bandytales wrote:
Well I am 5'10" and can touch the floor easily, but I too wouldn't mind a reverse. I went out for a ride on Sunday and was riding down a narrow down hill  muddy country lane when I came across a very flooded section of road (more than 2' deep),so I had to turn the bike around in the width of that muddy road. A reverse would have made a huge difference to that maneuver.
Or could get it modded like this? Don't forget to raise your eyebrow though a la Roger Moore ...
Attachments
roger moore.jpg