Kisan Self Cancelling Turn Signal Minder SM-5

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
wytnoiz

Kisan Self Cancelling Turn Signal Minder SM-5

Post by wytnoiz »

Greetings all. Last Fall, after about 35 years of no motorcycle, my wife and I purchased a low mileage 2005 R1200RT. After not riding for such a long time, I'm taking it easy and still getting used to the bike and it's idiosyncrasies. One of which is the turn signal cancellation switch. I've been researching ways to make the turn signal cancellation process less distracting and found a product made by Kisan that's supposed to make it so it cancels after a set time out. They claim it replaces the turn signal relay but after looking over the bike I can't locate the relay they refer to. I'm wondering if their design won't work for the newer canbus bikes? Any help or experience with this or any other option would be appreciated, Thanks.
2005 R1200RT Piedmont Red (Ilium, Sargent, Heed)
bandytales

Re: Kisan Self Cancelling Turn Signal Minder SM-5

Post by bandytales »

wytnoiz wrote: Greetings all. Last Fall, after about 35 years of no motorcycle, my wife and I purchased a low mileage 2005 R1200RT. After not riding for such a long time, I'm taking it easy and still getting used to the bike and it's idiosyncrasies. One of which is the turn signal cancellation switch. I've been researching ways to make the turn signal cancellation process less distracting and found a product made by Kisan that's supposed to make it so it cancels after a set time out. They claim it replaces the turn signal relay but after looking over the bike I can't locate the relay they refer to. I'm wondering if their design won't work for the newer canbus bikes? Any help or experience with this or any other option would be appreciated, Thanks.

I may be wrong, but I thought your bike has got self cancelling indicators. It's simply time and distance function. For example, for the 2010 RT they're canceled automatically "after you have ridden for approximately 10 seconds, or covered a distance of about 200 m."
BUT  not that it is "ridden", because they won't cancel after 10 seconds if you're simply sitting still, say, at a traffic light with your brakes on.

There is not a Kisan Signal Minder for your bike.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I have a 2005 RT, and it does have a self-canceling feature.  I find it is much longer a period than other bikes I've had, a bit too long in my opinion.  As stated above, it does not cancel when the bike is not in motion.

What I find annoying is that there is NOT a post-turn canceling feature.  Even bikes back in the 80's would immediately cancel the signal after the turn was completed, using a sensor on the handlebar hub.  Strange that such a well-engineered bike lacks this feature. 
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

jackronner wrote: I have a 2005 RT, and it does have a self-canceling feature.  I find it is much longer a period than other bikes I've had, a bit too long in my opinion.  As stated above, it does not cancel when the bike is not in motion.

What I find annoying is that there is NOT a post-turn canceling feature.  Even bikes back in the 80's would immediately cancel the signal after the turn was completed, using a sensor on the handlebar hub.  Strange that such a well-engineered bike lacks this feature.
You could just press the indicator button!😉
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

I don't know if all 2005 RT's have the self canceling turn signal.
Either way, if you don't have a traditional turn signal relay, (which
most likely your bike doesn't) Kisan will be of no use to you. Their
unit simply replaces the relay. I had one on my Triumph, and was
very happy with it. Can set it up to have the turn signals flash when
activating the brake. For that I had red flashers in the back. Am sure
it attracts attention when breaking.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

smileymiley wrote: You could just press the indicator button!😉
You are right. However, it happens that on a sunny day may not see that the blinkers are on,
and that can cause an accident. It happened to me, and that is why I installed the Kisan on
my other bike. Was more than happy with, and so am with the built in the RT has.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

I think the 'self cancelling' feature on the 2005 onwards 1200's is to compensate for us idiots that ride them. Because we occasionally do forget to switch them off, BMW has built in this safety net to compensate for our error. I don't think the intention was for them to be as an automatic feature like on some of the old Yamaha's and Honda's etc.