Rear Brakes sticking.

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
aphill24

Rear Brakes sticking.

Post by aphill24 »

Hi All, anyone got a video on how to service the rear rear brake caliper? I need to free up the pistons as when cleaning the bike last night I realised the rear wheel was tight when I went to turn it whilst in neutral. I suspect the calipers are sticking. JVB productions don't state it is covered in their cd and I don't really want to pay out for it anyway.

I have searched youtube but can't find a video for 2015 BMW R1200 RT LC
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear Brakes sticking.

Post by exportman »

Common problem across many bikes  I had a Sprint GT before the RT  and that was even worse.  I have a 2017 model  and that has rubber boots over the pistons  so generally  around once a month I push the caliper case  towards the brake disk.  Then slid it in and out a couple of times to make sure it is moving on the pins.  After that just pump up the pressure again on the brake pedal  then the front brake with the engine running ( It may work ok without starting the engine  but I'm not sure the liked braking is active until you have the ignition on)
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I Haven't done the rear brakes but replaced the pistons on the front pair, see the thread in maintenance. Not sure if you can take the pistons out completely without damage as they are in pretty tight. They could have the same problem as my fronts where the dirt sticks to the piston and prevents it returning. I will post photo's of the ones I took out and the build up is pretty clear.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

I did mine earlier this week while replacing the pads, it was a doddle really.
I just pulled the 2 'R' clips, used a drift to punch the pin out (it goes inwards!) then pushed the pads  down and out.
Undo the 2 bolts and lift the caliper off (note where the support clip fits).
The two parts of the caliper simply pull apart and the sliders can be cleaned and lubricated with silicone grease, plus the rubber boots!
Use *brake cleaner spray* to clean around the pistons, don't push them in until you have removed all the crud or you may damage the cylinder walls. The pistons should push back with finger pressure. BMW have a tool for this but I used a G Clamp. DO NOT PRESS AGAINST THE BRAKE DISK!!!
Reassembly is just the reverse. A spot of copper grease on the back and sliding edges of the pads backing plates will stop any noise but don't get it on the pads. Torque the caliper fixing bolts up to the correct pressure.

* Do not blow the dust away or inhale any of it! Brake cleaner will wet it so you can wipe it off. Do not use petrol or oil to clean them or it will cause the seals to perish and swell. I used a soft tooth brush and strips of cotton cloth to clean the residue off.

Hope this helps?
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Thanks for the write up Macj very helpful. when I have time I will attempt it but working this weekend so looking at next week which will give me time to pick up some grease.
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Thanks Ganesh most helpful.