Soft saddlebags?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Zapata

Soft saddlebags?

Post by Zapata »

Hello Team:
I am using my new to me R1200RT as my daily mode of transportation but I think the stock hard bags are to big for my daily commute needs. They are fine for the long trips where you need to carry more but what about just for the daily commute? Any alternatives in softbags?
Thinking bout the Nelson Rigg touring bags.
Anyone here using soft saddlebags?
Best regards,
RB
- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Soft saddlebags?

Post by Our Gee »

Why do you find the standard bags too big. Do you have an access problem somewhere ?. The standard panniers, sorry, bags, really enhance to overall appearance of the bike as well as affording a good degree of protection from road muck and even collision protection. I would have thought that securing any type of "soft" panniers would not be an easy task. If you really have your mind set on reducing the carrying cspicity of the standard luggage why not just leave the panniers off the bike and use a Tank Bag ?.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Zapata wrote:I think the stock hard bags are to big for my daily commute needs.
Would slim/city lids be of any interest, this thread is for the LC https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9, might find some for the TC too.
Zapata

Post by Zapata »

David. wrote: Would slim/city lids be of any interest, this thread is for the LC /viewtopic.php?t=9, might find some for the TC too.

WOW!! Those look great! Thank you very much for the information. too bad they are only for the LC models.

- 2012 R1200RT (0440),  2011 HD Softail Fatboy and  2006 HD V-ROD VRSCR Streetrod.
Zapata

Post by Zapata »

Our Gee wrote: Why do you find the standard bags too big. Do you have an access problem somewhere ?. The standard panniers, sorry, bags, really enhance to overall appearance of the bike as well as affording a good degree of protection from road muck and even collision protection. I would have thought that securing any type of "soft" panniers would not be an easy task. If you really have your mind set on reducing the carrying cspicity of the standard luggage why not just leave the panniers off the bike and use a Tank Bag ?.

I like more the look of the bike without the bags, sorry, panniers and I am already using a Kriega 10L bag as a tail bag and and a Kriega 25L backpack. I guess for practical purposes will put them back in the bike.

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Zapata wrote:
WOW!! Those look great! Thank you very much for the information. too bad they are only for the LC models.

Nope, available for all models. Oilheads / Hexhead / Camheads and Wetheads.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

bandytales wrote: Nope, available for all models. Oilheads / Hexhead / Camheads and Wetheads.
BMW even made OEM city lids for the R1150RT and also "double sized" extra wide lids!
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

TJRL wrote:BMW even made OEM .... "double sized" extra wide lids!
Yes they did, and they looked hideous!