Replacing the grips

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Replacing the grips

Post by temesvar »

Was wondering if anyone thought of, or even did, change the big fat grips the RT comes with.
Mine is a 2008 with the largest OD and a distinctive unappealing look! Yes, is a heated one, but
I see no use for that. So would like to replace the grips with a standard, after market grip.
Any suggestions?
MacJ

Re: Replacing the grips

Post by MacJ »

Is this deja vu or was this discussed at https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=37864#p37864 ?
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MacJ wrote: Is this deja vu or was this discussed at /viewtopic.php?p=37864#p37864 ?

I think he has a stutter. :))
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

.."ask for a little help from my friends" :whistle: but am not getting it, so I started stuttering.. :not speak:
By posting the thread I thought may get some help , but I was wrong. No big deal. Am almost done with the right side, the throttle thing is figured out. Now I hope not to have some surprises with the left/clutch side. Not easy taking them controller assembly of the bar, hidden screws everywhere. If care to see, will show the finished project. And will be able to change the grips at will, and they will be same in diameter as 99.9% of bikes produced! Not like the '05-'09 RT's :be happy:
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

temesvar wrote: And will be able to change the grips at will, and they will be same in diameter as 99.9% of bikes produced! Not like the '05-'09 RT'sbe

What size are the 05-09 RT Bars/Grips? Most Metric bikes have 7/8th's of an inch bars (sort of a standard size in motorcycles) but some cruisers and customs have 1" bars , Some H-D's even have 1 1/4 Bars but they reduce to 1" or 7/8th's at the grip and clamp positions to fit with the manufacturing sizes. Mine on the 10-13 rt have 7/8th bars which is the norm from my reckoning, Even push bikes have 7/8th's bars.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Bars are 22mm, slightly less than 7/8 I think I have the project solved. I should be able to fit any grips that are 7/8 for left and 1" for right.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

temesvar wrote: Bars are 22mm, slightly less than 7/8 I think I have the project solved. I should be able to fit any grips that are 7/8 for left and 1" for right.

Glad you got it sorted! In the words of Jeremy Beadle, On one hand they're thick bars, on the other they're not  ;)

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

MacJ wrote: Is this deja vu or was this discussed at /viewtopic.php?p=37864#p37864 ?
Yes, am glad you noticed it, yet I don't remember you helping out in any way :kacsint2:
It may be why this is a deja vu!
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

If I could have offered you direct assistance I would have.
However there was clearly a thread on this subject already running, which I pointed out, there being little point in starting the same subject again.
I'm glad you have sorted your issue with the grips and I hope you continue to enjoy the bike.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MacJ wrote: If I could have offered you direct assistance I would have.
However there was clearly a thread on this subject already running, which I pointed out, there being little point in starting the same subject again.
I'm glad you have sorted your issue with the grips and I hope you continue to enjoy the bike.

Well said Mac. +1
Temesvar, you could have just 'bumped' your original thread instead of muddying the waters with so many going around.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

temesvar wrote: Was wondering if anyone thought of, or even did, change the big fat grips the RT comes with.
Mine is a 2008 with the largest OD and a distinctive unappealing look! Yes, is a heated one, but
I see no use for that. So would like to replace the grips with a standard, after market grip.
Any suggestions?
Not sure I agree that the 2008 grips are the "largest OD" with an "unappealing look". When I purchased my 2008RT the grips seemed the same size as the one on 2001 RT it replaced. However when I replaced my 2008 with a 2015 RT I found the OEM grips to be too narrow and went straight out and fitted "Grip Puppies" to solve the problem!! As for looking unappealing, I cannot see the grips whilst riding and could not care less when parked. ^-^

Each to their own.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

TJRL wrote: Not sure I agree that the 2008 grips are the "largest OD" with an "unappealing look". When I purchased my 2008RT the grips seemed the same size as the one on 2001 RT it replaced. However when I replaced my 2008 with a 2015 RT I found the OEM grips to be too narrow and went straight out and fitted "Grip Puppies" to solve the problem!! As for looking unappealing, I cannot see the grips whilst riding and could not care less when parked. ^-^

Each to their own.
I wrapped Dunlop Tennis Racquet tape around the grips on mine. It's slightly padded but soft and err......grippy!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MacJ wrote:I wrapped Dunlop Tennis Racquet tape around the grips on mine. It's slightly padded but soft and err......grippy!
Yes, but the OP wants smaller grips, not fatter ones.
He is also looking for a handsome solution (although I really struggle to see what is ugly about any of the OEM handlebar grips).
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

bandytales wrote: Yes, but the OP wants smaller grips, not fatter ones.
He is also looking for a handsome solution (although I really struggle to see what is ugly about any of the OEM handlebar grips).
Appreciated but I was referring to your comment about fitting 'Grip Puppies'. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. Put it down to my age.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

temesvar

Post by temesvar »

My apologies, I simply forgot I already started a thread here. :pee:
I have solved my problem now. Can use any aftermarket grips that fit over 7/8 and 1" on throttle sleeve.
True, there is nothing wrong with the original grips just because I don't like them. Everybody with it's own taste!