Nearly came off the RT due to awful road surface

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
aphill24

Nearly came off the RT due to awful road surface

Post by aphill24 »

As the title suggests I was very lucky to get away with keeping the bike upright as the road not far from me is in an awful condition. I was approaching the bend going about 30 mph at most when my front wheel caught the very rough edge to the repair made when the road was dug up previously. I managed to slam my right foot down which saved me from crashing to the floor with two approaching cars coming in the opposite direction.
It was a very scary moment and I wonder if my insurance would have been able to sue the highways authority for recompense as there wouls surely have been a lot of damage.

A camera mount would have helped my case I suppose so going to save for one asap.
Attachments
road1.JPG
road2.JPG
Last edited by aphill24 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Nearly came off the RT due to awful road surface

Post by B787MECH »

I would recommend reporting the problem to www.fixmystreet.com which has worked well for me in cases like this. The report is logged with your local council and from then on they are liable for any damage/incidents caused by the defect. I find that they act pretty quickly to rectify the problem. I normally emphasise the fact it is especially dangerous to motorcyclists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, www.fixmystreet.com does appear to work.....eventually! Re any potential claims for bike damage, you need to deal directly with the council.
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

Glad you're OK. Yes the roads in the UK are in a shocking state. Any poor/dangerous road surfaces such as those in your photos need to be reported to the local council, they then have no defence if that causes a vulnerable road user to fall. It's not an accident if its due to someones (council) negligence. Jeez, we are a first world country with third world roads!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Yes, www.fixmystreet.com does appear to work.....eventually! Re any potential claims for bike damage, you need to deal directly with the council.

We had one of our blood bikes front disc come away due to a particularly large pot hole, took photos, went to the council etc - got absolutely nowhere, apparently if its been reported before and its in the schedule of work, tough. One of our riders also works for the council, but he didn't get anywhere either :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just reported a section of potholed road to our local Council, they are aware of it & it's on the "to do list".

The surface is in such a poor state, that, even in the car, I took an alternative route to avoid it.

Hopefully it'll be fixed before I get my RT out.

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote:
We had one of our blood bikes front disc come away due to a particularly large pot hole, took photos, went to the council etc - got absolutely nowhere, apparently if its been reported before and its in the schedule of work, tough. One of our riders also works for the council, but he didn't get anywhere either :)
Maybe the case in Wilts, but N Somerset did at least respond with action (some weeks later), after a repeated nagging mind you! :)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Maybe the case in Wilts, but N Somerset did at least respond with action (some weeks later),after a repeated nagging mind you! :)

It was Hampshire, we cover Hampshire, South Wiltshire and Dorset, so can't blame Wilts council  8)
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Councils don't care. They will wait for someone to get injured and then they hope the victim will not pursue a length legal claim.

Welcome to Broken Britain.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Thanks for the replies all. I will report it as a matter of duty to other road users. Just glad I never came off. It has taken my council since November to fix two street lights that are out opposite my house and they are still not working they are useless.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

You should come to Norfolk if you want to see bad surfaces, that road in your pictures looks like It's just been resurfaced if it was round here. :))
Motobricker

Post by Motobricker »

My 2008 RT had heated grips. They were worn out, previous owner, so like the picture I carefully with an Exacto knife cut the grip off and used an after market set.  Hardest part is getting the new grips on.  I have used hair spray for grip attachment for years, keeps the grips lubed while putting them on and sticky when dry.  It is not an easy job, careful to not cut the heating element, and then installing new grips is a pain, but can be done. 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Motobricker wrote: My 2008 RT had heated grips. They were worn out, previous owner, so like the picture I carefully with an Exacto knife cut the grip off and used an after market set.  Hardest part is getting the new grips on.  I have used hair spray for grip attachment for years, keeps the grips lubed while putting them on and sticky when dry.  It is not an easy job, careful to not cut the heating element, and then installing new grips is a pain, but can be done.

Have you posted this in the wrong thread? it doesn't seem relevant to the OP's issue!