Bowing out

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest5111

Bowing out

Post by guest5111 »

After a long time I came back to motorcycling and decided I needed all the help I could get. Joining a forum was part of that plan, and over the few months I took part here I found the vast majority of comment and dialogue on the RT Forum helpful, positive and friendly. There is no doubt in my mind that it has helped to get me started.

My videos were designed to share my experience of coming back to the bike, in part to solicit useful feedback to help me, and possibly others, to learn how to get on again after a long break. The comments on YouTube show this is bearing fruit. If any care to check the dialogue over my posts on this forum you will note that your feedback was received gratefully and acted upon. The vast majority of comments offered to me on these pages have been useful and were offered in the right spirit. 

Unfortunately, the negative criticism on my IAM #2 video has departed from this line in both tone and content from just a few individuals who claim to possess a god-like omniscience in all matters to do with motorcycling, even somehow knowing if I am 'not concentrating', apparently. It is clear these 'experts' would rather that newbies were seen and not heard, and should know their place. The plain facts of the matter were that I am under IAM supervision, part of an advanced rider scheme at an early stage, and went out of my way to make it clear I'm not offering advice and seeking to push people towards advanced training of their own. However, the 'feedback' offered on my riding by certain forum members was wholly negative, arrogant, condescending, not in any way helpful, and in most areas inaccurate too.  Of course there is always a grain of truth in what is said, but it is unfortunately drowned out by the superior tone. Whilst they make themselves seem clever, it merely exposed their frail egos. Makes you wonder how I survived the last three months on the roads really.

[size=2px]For the record, the IAM instructor who took me out on my 2nd observed ride emailed me today. He is a 'Master Level' Practitioner, has seen this video and wasn't the slightest bit concerned. He reckons me safe, is surprised at my ability after such a long lay off, and thinks the videos are really helpful. Hey ho.[/size]

As a professional trainer who has trained more than 20,000 people I do know something about the way we learn, and how feedback should be given and received. With today's references to 'blowing smoke out our arses' (whatever that means I have no idea) it seems the criticism has now moved onto a personal level, playing the man not the ball. I generally find that happens when people lose the argument. I leave it to the Forum members to decide if this is a breach of your ethics. Some justified this type of treatment on the basis that the 'GS Forum was much worse - count yourself lucky'. Really.

I'm not interested in playing games, through coming back to biking I simply wanted to make some friends, learn, have a bit of fun, and maybe contribute a few ideas myself. With this development the Forum no longer works for me. I feel it would be better for all concerned that I must bow out. I'd like to offer a huge thank you to all who have encouraged, given advice and responded to my many queries. I wish every one of you, without exception, safe trails.

Should any wish to follow the journey and stay in touch the videos will continue to be posted on the YouTube Channel, and my Twitter Feed @back2thebike.

Back2TheBike
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Bowing out

Post by exportman »

Hi

Sorry you are leaving  I think your posts generated some interesting comments
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

I really hate that you feel you are treated poorly. I haven't poured through all the responses in your various posts on here but forums can be like that unfortunately - certain types feel empowered by the anonymity. I have watched every one of your YouTube videos (twice for 5-parter comparing bikes!). For whatever it's worth I figured I'd post let you know that I (and I'm sure a vast number of others) greatly appreciate the effort you put in to putting them together. Well done.
Last edited by Pappy35 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

That's a real shame but it sounds like you've got yourself a good instructor who will hopefully help you achieve all your goals with the bike. Best of luck and stay safe.
Chris
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Real shame as I enjoyed your videos and actually bought an Rt based on your & many other reviews of the bike on YouTube. I guess i can still keep watching them there and will look out for any new one's soon.
The problem with social media and forums like this are people just love to wind up other members with comments they would not make face to face.
grisopaul

Post by grisopaul »

Hi B2B,
Sorry to see you go and I think you should reconsider. It has been a joy to watch someone rejoin riding, relearning technique, and watching the progress.

I expect my friends to be brutally honest when I ask their opinion and I find it painful when all they say is positive comments. I want the negative feedback so I know how to improve. Thicken your skin and stay with us. [emoji846]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There used to lots of this type of thing in this forum SOME time ago.  Any type of constructive criticism and they were gone.  Out of interest I had a very quick look at U Tube and all I saw was somebody suggesting that 75mph in third gear was probably on the high side.  YOU WOULDNT CHUCKLE IT JS.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

[size=2px]Back2TheBike,[/size]

I would not leave the forum over people's comments. The UKGSer forum is far worse!

I think your videos are good.
Last edited by ds99 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

ds99 wrote: RTman10

I would not leave the forum over people's comments. The UKGSer forum is far worse!

I think your videos are good.

Not mine my friend.  I’m not into showing the world my particular riding  style.  And of course I now lean the (wrong) way.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Shame. I'm on many forums and FB groups, I don't post much for the reasons you have outlined. I remember the ealy days of UKGSER when one of the founders stole the whole site from his co-founder, and social media hasn't got much better unfortunately. Having said that this one seems pretty nice, notwithstanding your replies etc.
Good luck, I'll follow you on twitter and YT.

mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I have enjoyed B2B's posts and videos. It is sad but understandable, that he has decided to leave the forum.

Perhaps those responsible for his departure should consider their own position.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Back2TheBike wrote: I feel it would be better for all concerned that I must bow out.

Hi Back3TheBike.
Sorry to think that comments have made you go.
It seems to me that in life we meet folk who disagree with us and it feels like criticism - but what the heck, how does it really affect us?
I feel you are way over sensitive. This is a FORUM for goodness sake. That means where ideas and views on a particular issues can be exchanged! So there SHOULD be more than one viewpoint. Don't throw your toys out of the pram 'cos some take a different view to you.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Hi B2B stay with it! After all its is a forum where you can ask questions and make comments. Sometimes the replies are not what you expect. Like riding your bike forget the hazard you have just passed and concentrate on negotiating the next one. No one gets seriously injured here, well maybe your pride sometimes.
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

Hi Mate, no reason to leave your vids are top notch and a great help to the majority of members on here. Every forum is spoilt by the few but most appreciate the time and effort you have put in. If you ever fancy a ride get in touch i am not too far away from you. Dave
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I do not post much these days but thought I would on this topic. Personally I would try to persuade you to reconsider your leaving decision. All forums have people who feel that negative bitching about another is fair game. I for one think you should give positive comment or none. Out of the various forums I have been on I think this is one of the tamer ones. Ignore any comments you feel are nasty and if you feel really strongly about something report it to the forum moderators. In the meantime hang around for a little longer, it is a nice place and can be very informative.