Newbie - Liverpool UK

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
heli_madken

Newbie - Liverpool UK

Post by heli_madken »

Hi Everyone,

I picked up my new to me R1200RT LC 2014 today. Immaculate condition, well done the previous owner for looking after her so well

[attachimg=1]

A return biker I bought myself a Honda NT700VA Deauville a year ago and after looking around for a replacement for some time decided on an RT.

Wow what a difference, just unbelievable I am still chuckling to myself now.

Thing that got me straight away was how stable the bike is, I was a little nervous about riding her for the first time but as soon as I let the clutch out I thought 'ok this is easy' low speed handling is superb.

After a short journey I was onto the motorway. My Deau never felt comfortable above 75 mph and 80 was frantic. I was riding along playing with the screen adjustment to see what difference it made and glanced down at the digital speedo, I was doing 86 and didnt even realise, it really felt like 50 on the Deau. Quick look around and their was nothing in site so I twisted the throttle and the bike just launched itself forward, I rolled off the throttle laughing my socks off.

So pleased cant wait to get back on her

Looking forward to joining in discussions here

Ken
Attachments
20180123_125711.jpg
Last edited by heli_madken on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Newbie - Liverpool UK

Post by BoB21 »

Welcome I also used to have ntv 700 for a few years. Respected bike but needed more power so laughed at your comment. Rt in different league and price point. Enjoy
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Excellent choice of colour there with the SM Blue Ken! Spot on!👍👍😉 Ride safe and enjoy the RT as I’m sure you will!🙂👍
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Nice colour there too. I have had mine only since November & can't stop smiling either. I've been on it regular as use it for work just got to give it some acf50 when I have time.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Welcome Ken! Nice bike you've got there 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Taz

Post by Taz »

You must be an Everton fan then.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Welcome and hope you enjoy the bike.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

welcome on board, I never forget that grin when I first rode mine :)
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Welcome Ken, excellent choice of bike and especially the 'fast' blue, enjoy, take care.
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
heli_madken

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

What a bike I am so over the moon with her, absolutely immaculate condition and so nice to ride.

Just a quick question as a 2014 LE model does my bike have the gear change pro option? havent tried it yet.

Changing up through the box is nice and easy but I would have to say changing down and selecting first at a standstill is something else with the well documented 'clunk', still at least I know I have actually selected 1st.

Ken
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

Ken, not sure about the 2014s having assist pro on them but as far as the clunky transmission, don’t fret. In a couple of months (heck, maybe just a few rides) you will be changing smooth as butter. A bit of clunk is normal for BMW though. BMW motorcycle transmission is like a pair of shoes (or lederhosen), a little uncomfortable at first, but you will wear into each other. Congratulations and enjoy your bike. Beautiful color ! Here is a pic of mine.
Attachments
EB6E1955-0D38-423F-A080-408A85C2D537.jpeg
Last edited by guest5112 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Greg L wrote: Ken, not sure about the 2014s having assist pro on them but as far as the clunky transmission, don’t fret. In a couple of months (heck, maybe just a few rides) you will be changing smooth as butter. A bit of clunk is normal for BMW though. BMW motorcycle transmission is like a pair of shoes (or lederhosen),a little uncomfortable at first, but you will wear into each other. Congratulations and enjoy your bike. Beautiful color ! Here is a pic of mine.
Hi Greg, gonna have to disagree with you here. You have a 2017/2018 and that bike doesn't clunk (particularly) except going into 1st (once it is warm). The previous 1200RTW's clunk and it is a feature, but it's not the same as your slick shifting bike.
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

I don’t have anything older to compare it to. My first BMW was my 2016 RS which had a little clunk but nothing compared to the Harley I traded for it. Japanese bikes I had before had minimal clunk but they were all older bikes by the time I got them so maybe worn ? I should probably clarify by saying that I got smoother the more I rode my RS. For one thing I learned that the clutch lever did not have to be pulled right (with 6000 pounds per square inch of force) in like the Harley did lol.

You are correct though, my RT is beautifully smooth. Like the skin of a fair young maiden basking in the sun. Does what it is supposed to do  :) )
Last edited by guest5112 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

bandytales wrote: Hi Greg, gonna have to disagree with you here. You have a 2017/2018 and that bike doesn't clunk (particularly) except going into 1st (once it is warm). The previous 1200RTW's clunk and it is a feature, but it's not the same as your slick shifting bike.

If you use the Hill hold feature it does not clunk when engaging first either
Rastuscat

Post by Rastuscat »

If you think your RT is stable, go test ride a K1600GT.

My 13 RT is awesome, but just for a smile I recently rode a 12 K1600GT.

Next time I got on my RT I realised how small it is.

Now I have an F800ST as well. Which feels small after my RT. Which feels small after the GT.

It's all relative.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk