Bowing out

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MacJ

Re: Bowing out

Post by MacJ »

Quartz Blue is beyond doubt the quickest RT but sometimes even the quickest is not quick enough!
This morning I found myself gazing in wonder on an RS SE in Pidcocks  and realised it was quicker just sitting in the showroom than an RT. (And so it should be with the weight difference).
I was smitten and laid out my shekels.
Bye bye RT hello RS, it could be a fast ride home! >:D
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

MacJ wrote: Quartz Blue is beyond doubt the quickest RT but sometimes even the quickest is not quick enough!
This morning I found myself gazing in wonder on an RS SE in Pidcocks  and realised it was quicker just sitting in the showroom than an RT. (And so it should be with the weight difference).

Congratulations! If you'd like to give a full review of your findings? after a few miles I'd be much obliged! A bike I've always had a fondness of 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

As a 'Thread Hijack', this one takes some beating.
Chris
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Ok,  back on track
I enjoyed BTBs videos, good quality and well edited.  I had to watch with the sound off as the none stop talking reminded me of the Ex misus
As for the comments..  I didn't read anything bad or hurtful so can't understand the situation
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

MacJ wrote: Quartz Blue is beyond doubt the quickest RT but sometimes even the quickest is not quick enough!
[been thinking about swapping to a RS please let us know what you think compared to the RT    comfort / weather protection / handling
Taz

Post by Taz »

Dare I suggest that if we didn’t have different riding styles then we would all be riding like robots and what would be the point in that? I quite enjoy watching other riders and then experimenting with what I have seen, such as positioning, braking, turning points. I can then say that it helps or that it’s not for me. Each to his (or her) own.

And just to add my humble opinion, my bike is in the dark metallic bronze, which is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than quartz blue !
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
LongRanger

Post by LongRanger »

I've been riding for almost 50 years and I've subscribed to the youtube videos produced by back2thebike because his learning process, done in his methodical manner, is a great way to review my own decision process. I would much prefer to ride with B2B than his critics. He will be safer and more predictable which is essential in a group. Despite their probable protestations they have likely intentionally stopped learning. Pride before the fall.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

LongRanger wrote: I've been riding for almost 50 years and I've subscribed to the youtube videos produced by back2thebike because his learning process, done in his methodical manner, is a great way to review my own decision process. I would much prefer to ride with B2B than his critics. He will be safer and more predictable which is essential in a group. Despite their probable protestations they have likely intentionally stopped learning. Pride before the fall.
Well said. I'm also a biker who has returned after long a withdrawal. Come on back back2thebike, there's far more here to learn from the good guys of this forum and others. Just filter the info from others.
I think social media in general requires a great deal of filtering capability. There's so much good stuff here but also so much crap that one needs to develop a real skill in "separating the wheat from the chaff". When it comes to forums and other social media groups, a thick skin is necessary. It's a skill that should be emphasized in school and be taught to adults as well.
Steve
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

LongRanger wrote: I've been riding for almost 50 years and I've subscribed to the youtube videos produced by back2thebike because his learning process, done in his methodical manner, is a great way to review my own decision process. I would much prefer to ride with B2B than his critics. He will be safer and more predictable which is essential in a group. Despite their probable protestations they have likely intentionally stopped learning. Pride before the fall.

Can't let this one go. So you would rather ride with someone who is just coming back to biking and clearly by his own admission and the videos is in no way yet an experienced rider, than some of his critics, who were pointing out where he was going wrong (he did ask for people to comment)  and are very experienced advanced riders. Some of the riders who commented are also IAM or RoSPA tutors and professional motorcyclists. I know who I would rather ride with.
Last edited by Casbar on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

Officially the longest thread ever lol
Last edited by guest5112 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:
Can't let this one go. So you would rather ride with someone who is just coming back to biking and clearly by his own admission and the videos is in no way yet an experienced rider, than some of his critics, who were pointing out where he was going wrong (he did ask for people to comment)  and are very experienced advanced riders. Some of the riders who commented are also IAM or RoSPA tutors and professional motorcyclists. I know who I would rather ride with.

+1
guest5112

Post by guest5112 »

We had two MSF instructors when I did my course. There was a mix of experience amongst the students. I had experience and the main reason I was there was because I thought it would be an easier route to get my license in the USA. Anyhow, the one guy I would ride with. He was genuinely there to impart knowledge and did so in a pleasant natured way. I actually feel as if I learned some things from him. The other guy was a retired motorcycle highway patrol cop and was only there to belittle others mainly for the sake of promoting himself. He was like the god of motorcycle riding, feeding us his knowledge with spoonfuls of obnoxious sarcasm. A prick. Him, I would probably choose anyone else over as a riding mate. Just saying just because you know how to ride a motorcycle doesn’t make you a pleasure to ride with.
Last edited by guest5112 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

As there has not been a post from BtB for a while does this imply he is no longer part of the discussion. In which case are we now discussing the merits of feedback loops and the etiquettes (if any exist) in using social media as a means.
Think the choice of who we ride with is a very personal choice, being billy no mates, all my riding is done on my own so I quite enjoy my company. This give me the opportunity to not just talk to myself and others around me with no feedback or criticism. It does become obvious if I cock up and usually I know it.
Unusually all my skiing is done in a small group of similar abilities broken up with the odd totally mixed one.

The Black and Grey has to be the optimum colour for both speed and stealth.

thanks and regards, Ganesh
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Greg L wrote: Officially the longest thread ever lol
And definitely the longest "goodbye" :-)
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

someones mentioned skiing I love skiing this thread could go on for a while