Anyone Using BMW's fuel additive?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Anyone Using BMW's fuel additive?

Post by David. »

Mac77 wrote:I put a dose of IPA through the RT when she was low do drag through any water that might of been in the fuel.
What is IPA?
Taz

Post by Taz »

The only IPA I know is India Pale Ale, and very nice it is too from our local pub ! be
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Taz wrote: The only IPA I know is India Pale Ale, and very nice it is too from our local pub !

Not sure you should be promoting a pint of best as a fuel additive. !!  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I recall on K100LT that the Bosch fuel pump bearings used to gum up and cause excessive wear.
Then again, mine was 28 yes old with 66k when I sold it for my RT.......?
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Kickten Nutz

Post by Kickten Nutz »

For about a year, I got into the habit of adding fuel treatment to my 2015 RT but I SWEAR it made the bike run worse!!! I eventually just stopped doing it.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

One of the Which? reports was quite disparaging on additives some time back. The cheaper supermarket fuels are not usually to the same composition as the premium brands as the legal requirements are fairly basic. More recently cheaper fuels have a higher bio-ethanol 10% component which allows the fuel to be cheaper. Most modern engines can cope with this to a point.
However from my own experience more noticeable on the car (diesel) than the bike is after a few tank fulls they do seem to loose a little performance. To compensate I put the higher performance branded fuel in to top a tank up about every 3 to 4 refuels. It does seem to make a differenece.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Kickten Nutz wrote:For about a year, I got into the habit of adding fuel treatment to my 2015 RT but I SWEAR it made the bike run worse!!! I eventually just stopped doing it.
Which fuel treatment was being used, the BMW stuff or some other inferior brand.