Switzerland Trip

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Davcar

Switzerland Trip

Post by Davcar »

Hi All I’m planning a trip and wondered if anyone has a good route to take. My wife and I are looking at a 10-12 day round trip starting from Calais in June this year. Want to do some of the famous passes Furkapass and possibly the Dolomites. Dave
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Switzerland Trip

Post by Peter Baker »

Hi Dave, have a look here http://www.ride.co.uk/routes/ there are some EXCELLENT ideas and SatNav routes, I have done three summer tours now using this as a starter for my Mix & Match approach.  Hope that helps, Peter
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Innertkirchen is a great place to base yourself as it gives easy access to at least five of the best passes including Furka, Grimsel, Gotthard, etc. Hotel Hof and Post is a good place to stay. I'd recommend the Alpenpass phone app to check the passes are open. They should be clear of snow by June but we found one was closed due to a rockfall, and the app gives daily updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I took an RT to the Alps in 2016. Switzerland is eye-wateringly expensive for food and accommodation.

Stick to the Italian and French Alps. Much cheaper.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I agree, the Swiss make it expensive a you do need a carnet for travelling and unless you are into the banking fraternity income bracket pretty horrendous eating and drinking.
If you can a find a route thorugh either via Austria or France into the Italian Alps and across to the Dolomites there's some fantastic rides. The down side at that time of year are the coach parties as most ot the Dolomites are day trip distance from Venice, Verona, Innsbruck so the passes can be quite busy.
Saying that come into the Dolomites from the Innsbruck side and work you way through from Ortisei, St. Cristina, Gardena, Corvara, San Cassiano, or head for Arraba and loop back or head for Cortina and then north towards Brunico. The only quirky bit that throws sat-navs, all the places have 2 names one Austrian and the other Italian :)
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

ds99 wrote: I took an RT to the Alps in 2016. Switzerland is eye-wateringly expensive for food and accommodation.

Stick to the Italian and French Alps. Much cheaper.
+1 on that! Very costly, but what a beautiful scenic country it is. If travelling on their motorways, you'll need to buy a vignette (valid for the calendar year in question). Again, darned expensive, but go on the motorways in Switzerland without one, and if stopped by the cops, you'll land yourself with a hefty fine!
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Steve F wrote: +1 on that! Very costly, but what a beautiful scenic country it is. If travelling on their motorways, you'll need to buy a vignette (valid for the calendar year in question). Again, darned expensive, but go on the motorways in Switzerland without one, and if stopped by the cops, you'll land yourself with a hefty fine!

Then again...avoid the motorways (the ones with the green signage).
Davcar

Post by Davcar »

Ok thanks guys, some really good advice for starters.        Will keep you posted with any further questions.  Dave