Where can this be ?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Where can this be ?

Post by Our Gee »

Just been looking through photos of one of our first big bike trips (K1200LT and Pre Digital Camera era) and I came across a picture I took of a French roundabout that has a "biplane aircraft" in the centre complete with rotating propeller surrounded by a circle of fountain water jets. Trouble is I can,t remember the location. I took the picture somewhere during our relocation journey from Ambert in the Auvergne and Annecy. If this strikes a cord with anyone I would be pleased to know the location.
Thanks.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Where can this be ?

Post by Casbar »

This one possibly - [size=18px]andresieux Loire Rhone Valley France A roundabout in Andresieux with a suspended mock up of a biplane
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Excellent, spot on chaps. When I googled the location of Andrezieux (as suggested by Casbar) and it came up as a suberb of St Etienne I new that must be it as I do recall heading east from Ambert along minor D roads and skirting around St Etienne.
We rode around the roundabout half a dozen times having a good look before deciding to park up for a picture. That was some trip. We started in St Malo and had a few days in Brittany before riding down to the Loire Valley area (never did find the valley) where we had a Gite for week and visited Oradour sur Glane. Then down to the beautiful Auvergne and four days at a great Chambre d'ote outside Ambert. Then across to Annecy passing the Rond-Point Fontaine de l'Avion in the picture. We stayed just outside the village of La Clusaz and did the Mt Blanc cable car ride. Then up into the Black Forest for a couple of nights in Frieberg. Then it was home via Calais. It was this trip which gave us the bug for riding in France.
Thanks again.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Couldn't find the Loire Valley....!!!??? Or the girt big river that flows through it...??  ??? You must have crossed it coming down from Brittany? ???
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Steve F wrote: Couldn't find the Loire Valley....!!!??? Or the girt big river that flows through it...??  ??? You must have crossed it coming down from Brittany? ???
My comment about the "Valley" was a bit "tongue in cheek" and yes I do recall crossing a big river quite a few times and it was indeed the Loire. However, I can't recall anywhere where it flowed through a "Valley". There again I suppose that depends on just what your idea of a valley is.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, I guessed that was the case Our Gee  ;) . As you say, ‘valley’ will be either broad and flat, like the Loire along most of its length, or narrower and steep-sided like for example the Rhine and Moselle confluence. My wife and I toured France last year. Fell in love with the South, ie Provence. A beautiful area to explore what with all the gorges, Route Napoleon etc. :) . Mind you, in defence of the Loire Valley, the chateaus are absolutely stunning. I imagine cruising down the river must be delightful.