How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest4915

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by guest4915 »

bandytales wrote:
So why do you believe this is a premium brand? What to you, defines a premium brand? If you mean overpriced, then I fully agree.
What other brands of motorcycle would you define as a premium brand?
The bikes seem no more reliable or long lived than it's mainstream rivals.

Generally speaking, what we considerer to be 'the premium brands' (BMW, Ducati and KTM etc.) are less reliable than their main stream rivals (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki etc.) Why[align=left] this is so is probably down to production practices, values and quality control, but who knows. However, it does seem slightly geographical :) [/color][/font][/size][/align]
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

bandytales wrote:
And likewise an old Honda CX500 - However, I do believe that BMW were more of a premium brand in the 80's. They are much more average now.

I would agree, but [size=16px][align=left]noting that the price of BMWs in the 70/80s was prohibitively high compared with the competition.[/size][/align]
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Pickaxe wrote:
Generally speaking, what we considerer to be 'the premium brands' (BMW, Ducati and KTM etc.) are less reliable than their main stream rivals (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki etc.) Why[align=left] this is so is probably down to production practices, values and quality control, but who knows. However, it does seem slightly geographical :) [/color][/font][/size][/align]

Woa! Now you have messed with my mind. So what you seem to be inferring is that what makes a premium brand is overpriced and less reliable! I guess you could have included Harley Davidson in your list too.

For me my current boxer is a great bike, but it's not better than the majority of other new motorcycles available out there today. I get uptight with motorcycle snobbery.

Last edited by bandytales on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

bandytales wrote:
Woa! Now you have messed with my mind. So what you seem to be inferring is that what makes a premium brand is overpriced and less reliable! I guess you could have included Harley Davidson in your list too.

For me my current boxer is a great bike, but it's not better than the majority of other new motorcycles available out there today. I get uptight with motorcycle snobbery.

Before I purchased my RT, I knew from experience with BMW/Honda fleets and previously owned bikes that the BMW was likely to have the odd problem. I also knew that in the event of problems, BMW will bend over backwards to sort things out.

However, the main reason for purchase was because IMHO, the RT is probably one of the finest riding experiences available in a massed produced bike, albeit at a disproportionately high price.
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

That doesn't necessarily mean they are getting worse, I just think all the others are getting better. It's more of a level-playing-field these days.
'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Photos coming soon, I've been away and busy for a couple of days.
Always busy inn retirement.
As to the premium brand / quality theme:
I was a very happy "Pan Man" 2 x 1100 and the latest was a 1300, excellent bikes, mloved them, good for touring.
Circumstances meant I just wanted rid of the Pan.
Needed a tourer, didn't like the Triumph Trophy. Tried the RT LC, didn't like the looks of the previous model, and fell in love with it !!!!!
The single biggest reason for having the RT wqs tyhe lack of turbulence for my pillion. On the ST1300 I spent 2 years and 4 screens to get the turbuence to a just acceptable level.
The RT was like a different world. Then you add in the less weight, very important and all the other "extras". The bike I chose was an ex-demo from Pidcocks at Long Eaton. It came fully loaded and I added 49l top box and head protectors. It was the smoothest of the 3 RTs that I test drove.
It suits me (us) and have benefitted from the additional friendship generated by Pidcocks travel section.
One extremely happy bunny, even with the current corrosion issue.
:)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Pappy35 wrote: That doesn't necessarily mean they are getting worse, I just think all the others are getting better. It's more of a level-playing-field these days.

Nope, my Honda's and Yamaha's have always been 100% reliable for massive mileages. My BMW's (which I like much more) have been somewhat less reliable.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

BeeJay wrote:
One extremely happy bunny, even with the current corrosion issue.
:)

Me too. Like I say, I have a very high mileage 1150RT an a new Wethead and I like them so much (well, the 1150, but I am slowly coming around to the 1200), I tolerate the shortcomings. But I just can't accept that the BMW is any more 'premium' than most of its oriental brothers.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

How do I attach a photo?
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

bandytales wrote:
And likewise an old Honda CX500 - However, I do believe that BMW were more of a premium brand in the 80's. They are much more average now.

Doctors, draughtsmen and dentists used to be the A typical owners of BMW''s in the 80's.  I was one of them!!!
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

I purchased the AC-50 online..I apply it liberally during storage season and here and there throughout the riding seasons.
It is great stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Blueboy wrote: ...during storage season .

What is the 'storage season'?
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Christmas day
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

BeeJay wrote: Christmas day

Haha +1 to that.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Having said that, I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms as I have not been out on the bike since Boxing day.
The few days that have been suitable I have had other "things" to do.
This coming weekend looks promising.
Lots of rain to wash away the salt and 5 or 6 deg.
GREAT !
Pobably go via the Ponderosa to our favourite lunchtime (anytime) stop, The Oakley Arms Hotel, Ffestiniog, junction of A487 and B4410
That's north Wales for the uninitiated.
Best part of the world, after Scotland
(That should promote some discussion lol)