Best Model/Year

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
mentalrental

Best Model/Year

Post by mentalrental »

Hi all. At the risk of starting a feud, I was wondering what could be voted as the best model/year on the RT range.
Most of you guys seem to have owned a few over the years and must have a preference/favourite.

I have a 2006 Rt 1200 and love it. In fact its hard to fault.
Mark.
MEM62

Re: Best Model/Year

Post by MEM62 »

It's not the year that's important - it's the colour.  Midnight Blue Metallic is by far the best.  :be happy: 
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

It's got to be the ones made in Germany  ;)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

Mmmm. Blue and German. A good start. So what if I were to be considering a newer model. Blue and German aside, although that will now be a priority of course, is there a particular year or model that might stand out, or even left alone? 
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I have a 17 reg RTLC  not had any problems (apart from a couple of niggles at the beginning).
Nearly due it's first 6k service and it's needed nothing apart from new tyres.

I let it warm up when first going out and then abuse it until it goes back into the garage, (including occasional wheelies when bored)  it just seams to be getting better and better.
The MPG isn't as good as the air cooled bikes that I go out with but for smiles per gallon it's great.
I'd only change it for another new one or if BM brought out a new RT model. 

Probably not the best review but you get the idea.

Ps Carbon Black and German
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

mentalrental wrote: Hi all. At the risk of starting a feud, I was wondering what could be voted as the best model/year on the RT range.
Most of you guys seem to have owned a few over the years and must have a preference/favourite.

I have a 2006 Rt 1200 and love it. In fact its hard to fault.
Mark.

Best for what?
I have a 2017RTW  and a 2003 Oilhead. My Oilhead is (for me) my favourite RT ever.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

If somebody asked me to recommend a bike for them to buy, I would ask how much they had to spend. 
If the answer was anything up to £18000 I would suggest a 2018 RT LE with all the extras they liked / could afford.
If the budget was closer to half that amount I would suggest a previously cherished, fully loaded, 2013 RT SE (the last of the air cooled bikes).
If half again, some careful shopping around might turn up a gem of an early RT, but I wouldn't recommend the earliest models with the servo brakes.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

Thanks to everyone, Bit of a quandary. Toured Yorkshire and Scotland last year Two up. (I'm from Essex) and the bike was faultless. We even stayed dry (apart from my lower arms) when covering over 200 miles in heavy rain. (well it was Scotland) I've sold one of my other bikes with the idea of upgrading my RT but keep being pulled back to my current bike. Its low mileage and clean but do wonder at pushing 12 years old is it going to stay that reliable. I read reports on niggles with some newer bikes (mainly electrical) and wonder if I am better keeping it simple with my 2006 bike. The cash is burning a hole and my missus has her eyes on a new three piece.
Thanks again.
Mark.