New bike maintenance

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Blueboy

New bike maintenance

Post by Blueboy »

Does anyone out there plan to do some of their own maintenance on a new bike? My 20,000km maintenance check on my r1200rtlc is about 1000$ according to my dealer. I plan to change my own fluids, plugs and valve clearance check- I have experience and all the tools and have rebuilt a few bikes. He told me that if anything ever went wrong with the bike I may have warranty issues- even though I take pictures and document the work.
Any thoughts...Ideas??
Blueboy
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New bike maintenance

Post by T6pilot »

In the United States, you cannot be required to have dealer perform maintenance to maintain your warranty unless it free
I’ve done all my own servicing except tires on my last 3 bmw’s, not a eyebrow raised by my dealer, I do document everything i’ve done in the warranty book
Valve check in itself is easy, been lucky as all have been in spec, air filter is a bigger pain removing all the Tupperware
2 spark plugs, oil filter, air filter, motor oil, gear oil, brake fluid and valve cover gaskets
Should be less than $150, and about 5 hours to complete
Jim
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

If you live in the USA you are lucky. Here in the UK its not so straight forward. When I bought my 2014 bike I did all my own servicing. My mates thought I was mad. I documented everything keeping all receipts and taking a lot of photos. I used BMW approved parts. I was ready to do battle. However nothing went wrong ! Now the bike is out of warranty I don't care. As I plan to keep the bike I have no issue with not having stamps in the book. Because I have time and a nice garage I can do the maintenance better than the dealer. For what its worth I think the RT LC is the easiest bike I have ever worked on. Also you do save quite a lot of money.  :)
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Thanks for your input ! I'm looking forward to doing my own maintenance, it looks like the laws apply in Canada as well as the U.S.
I found this  http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/how-to ... rself  it applies to motorcycles as well.
Blueboy
LAF

Post by LAF »

My 15 RT and now my 17 GS will never see a dealer for anything unless it is warranty or recall work.

Keep receipts and documentation and there will be no issue.  At least here in the USA.  I have used my camera on a tripod and filmed the oil and FD fluid draining and me pouring new in.  I have a list of tq specs and show me going over the bolts and fasteners.  I print my GS-911 report.  I show my brake bleed at the first year using the GS-911 and at the 2 year mark also.

I have taken pictures of me setting my cam timing and checking my valves.  At 200 miles I just checked cam timing on my new GS and checked and recorded valves.

I hate dealers who use scare tactics or lie to you on these things.

Now if you have a good dealer by the oil and crush washers from them to help keep the doors open.    Just do not let them bully you into them servicing your bike.

temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

LAF wrote: My 15 RT and now my 17 GS will never see a dealer for anything unless it is warranty or recall work.
Keep receipts and documentation and there will be no issue. At least here in the USA. I have used my camera on a tripod and filmed the oil and FD fluid draining and me pouring new in. I have a list of tq specs and show me going over the bolts and fasteners. I print my GS-911 report. I show my brake bleed at the first year using the GS-911 and at the 2 year mark also.
I have taken pictures of me setting my cam timing and checking my valves. At 200 miles I just checked cam timing on my new GS and checked and recorded valves.
I hate dealers who use scare tactics or lie to you on these things.
Now if you have a good dealer by the oil and crush washers from them to help keep the doors open. Just do not let them bully you into them servicing your bike.
OMG, you are the dealer's worst night mare!! Is supposed to be the other way around!! :alas:
Keep up the good job! :kacsint2:
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Levisp wrote: If you live in the USA you are lucky. Here in the UK its not so straight forward. When I bought my 2014 bike I did all my own servicing. My mates thought I was mad. I documented everything keeping all receipts and taking a lot of photos. I used BMW approved parts. I was ready to do battle. However nothing went wrong ! Now the bike is out of warranty I don't care. As I plan to keep the bike I have no issue with not having stamps in the book. Because I have time and a nice garage I can do the maintenance better than the dealer. For what its worth I think the RT LC is the easiest bike I have ever worked on. Also you do save quite a lot of money.  :)
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy