Rear wheel hub

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
nibiker

Rear wheel hub

Post by nibiker »

hi, I've noticed oil leaking from rear driveshaft hub on my 05 rt, has anyone replaced the oil seal?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear wheel hub

Post by David. »

Which FD unit seal is leaking, inside or outside.

Replacing the outside seal, https://wielpenders.wordpress.com/2011/ ... placement/

If it's the inside seal, this video for a GS (same as RT) covers it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9rF-fbqdiI
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nibiker

Post by nibiker »

David thanks for the step by step pictures that's a great help, il replace all seals around hub while it's off. Thanks Trevor.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Very interesting pictures and video. The offside (picture sequence) looks to be very straight forward and the nearside (video) a lot more involved requiring a puller and heat gun. I,m not so sure about the guy's care and attention though. leaving the rear caliper to rest on the final drive casing and that bit where he wire brushes the seal aperture giving the big bearing a good seeing too in the process. Wire brushes can have a habit of leaving behind bits of wire !!.
Good clear video though.
Seeing the view of the big Ball Bearing does tempt me to ask a question I have asked before and never really had an answer. Does the Ball Bearing run in the final drive oil or is it remote from the oil bath ?.
Thanks.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the photos within this thread, http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/f ... sa.682413/ suggests that the big Ball Bearing on a 2007 GS (same as RT) does not run in the FD Unit oil.
Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arkmark

Post by arkmark »

My inner seal is beginning to leak just a little also.  Have you replaced your seals yet? did you run into any problems while doing it?

Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted
Last edited by Boxflyer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for clarifying on which RT model years the big bearing runs in the FD unit oil & which don't.

"On RT final drives on the hex heads (05-09) the FD "big bearing" is placed in the housing on the flange side of the bevel gears and is not running in the 75W90 gear oil."

"Starting in 2010 up to present (2017) on the RT, the "big bearing" is on the inside of the housing WITH the bevel gears and running in the 75W90 gear oil."

This is encouraging for the later Twincam RT's with respect to both the FD unit bearings & any potential Warranty claim.
The Warranty Handbook says,
"Final drive
All internally lubricated components, including the following:
Failure of the following parts: crown wheel, pinion and bearings. Pinion shaft oil seal and crown wheel cover seal, rear wheel carrier."

Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

David. wrote: Thanks for clarifying on which RT model years the big bearing runs in the FD unit oil & which don't.

I,ll second that, mystery solved. Thanks from me also.
nibiker

Post by nibiker »

Guys, only got round to doing oil seal and new oil no problems doing it, I've just followed the information from here job done thank you!!