The road to recovery...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

The road to recovery...

Post by Sullivj »

On Tuesday, I had my right hip replaced. At 41, I'm definately at the young end of the spectrum to have this done, but I'm really hoping it will be worth it.

Day to day, the old hip gave me some pain, more like just general discomfort, but riding the bikes is where the real trouble began...

I was finding that after a while on the bike, the pain was getting so intense that the only way to relieve it, was to stand up and realign the joint. I got quite skilled at riding the RT in a standing position, as this was the most comfortable.

The time I could ride 'pain free', became less and less, until it came down to less than 10 minutes. It go so bad, that I actually got stuck on my RT outside my house, unable to move my painful leg at all. Thank God I had connected my helmet intercom to my phone, and was able to phone for help.

4 months after this happened, and a lot of tests later, I am now the proud owner of a titanium ball and plastic cup replacement joint.

I opted for sedation during the op, so could hear them sawing and banging, but couldn't feel a thing.  For a few hours after the op, I couldn't feel anything below my waist, but gradually it all came back (phew!)

Now, I am learning to walk again and can't wait to get back on the bikes. My surgeon was VERY anti bike, so not very encouraging on that front.  Is there anyone here that rides with a replacement hip? If so, I'd be interested to know how (if at all),it's affected your ability to ride?
Last edited by Sullivj on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stayingupright

Re: The road to recovery...

Post by stayingupright »

Best wishes on your recovery

I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Morning Sullivj
I'm 45 and on my 3rd left hip, I have very little to no discomfort riding the bike anymore (you will wish you had had the op ages ago if it wasn't due to an accident)
One thing I would say is, riding the bike for the first time after the op is more to do with your state of mind than your leg, and you may be nervous about putting that leg down when you stop at lights for example.

I needed the operations due to a car deciding to do a U turn in front of me, but it took me a very long time to get the mind set of nothing would go wrong in my hip/pelvis and that it wouldn't snap off. I wouldn't even jump from a small wall for example. I have 151 screws in my pelvis area to construct a socket for the hip to fit in but you would know.

After my last rebuild (all the same surgeon from the beginning) , I was up and walking within 6 hours (not to far) played golf after 10 weeks and I'm on the bike more than I'd even been.
Your hip and socket will last circa 10 years depending on any sports you do or your weight, so you have many more happy days in the saddle to come.

Happy biking
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks Michael. It's great to hear that it should progress well.

Good point about my state of mind. Previously, I tended to put my 'good' (left) leg down at junctions, so will probably continue with that to start with and introduce 'RoboLeg' as confidence builds.

I have a light 1950s 250cc, so will take that out first before I jump back on the RT.

Thanks again.

Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

My brother in law had his replaced in his early 40's due to numerous offs while racing. Now on his second one which was done under warranty as the previous one came with a recall. He cycles to work pretty well every day, about 40 miles a day, across London. He wants to get back on abike but hasn't got round to it. Offered to et him take my RT out and he's thinking of taking up the offer.
I also guide disabled skiers and one of our instructors had his hip and leg rebuilt after a bike accident, prosthetic leg, he went back to biking until he had a skiing accident and need more work, now been banned from both. He's in his late 60's.
It seems the metal work and bones can cope so good luck and hope it works for you.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Best wishes for a full & speedy recovery  Image
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Keep at the physio - it make so much difference!  I had mine done @50 and it included a rod down the femur almost to the knee.  Now though, 11 years on,  it is fine and I don't get much pain when riding even after a full day.  You'll get there......
jeancap_31

Post by jeancap_31 »

Hi, got my right hip replaced at 61. I stayed off the bike for 4 months before jumping back on it.
I do  5 000 Kil on my bicycle, 3 weeks of skiing in the Alps and 10 000 Kil on my RT every year.
Be serious for the rehab and it will work fine
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Hi well done to everyone who has had a hip replacement and got back to biking. At 62 and a 'hipster' in waiting I'm trying to get the most out of the hips I've got until the last safe moment. Sullivj I would be very interested in your progress, especially in your physio/rehab experience. Regards.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks for all of your encouragement.

It's been one week today since the operation.

I can walk for 20 minutes now, with two sticks. I am doing the exercises little and often. I have seen an increase in the amount of movement in my new joint, which is good.

I have been looking for an exercise bike to help with my recovery as I understand that will help.

Laying on my back, I REALLY struggle to slide my operated leg out to the side,  I'm sure that will become easier in time.

The drugs are helping with the pain, it's more uncomfortable, than it is painful.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Sullivj wrote: Laying on my back, I REALLY struggle to slide my operated leg out to the side, I'm sure that will become easier in time.
The drugs are helping with the pain, it's more uncomfortable, than it is painful.
Yep, getting the abductors to work properly again is a challenge.  My metal work is on the left and even now if I lie on my right side it is a struggle to lift the left leg up to the side.  Had two big ops to get it right which cut through a lot of muscle which means mine may be weaker than normal.  On the pain side, I had more trouble with the soft tissue than bone.  Now I hardly feel it at all.  Walking's good, so is cycling.  Don't forget swimming either; just standing in the pool and kicking out forwards, backwards and sideways against the water really helped me.

Hope that helps