Does this cylinder head cover installs on a 2018 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

Does this cylinder head cover installs on a 2018 RT?

Post by wethead »

[size=2px]http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cylind ... 1512/cid/1[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
ds99

Re: Does this cylinder head cover installs on a 2018 RT?

Post by ds99 »

i would think so, yes
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Compatible with water cooled R 1200 GS / Adventure, R, RS and RT models"
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

But why would you want these? They look very amature, they are expensive and are relatively flimsy.
If you buy the OEM BMW ones, they are form fitting, and are made out of Stainless steel. If you scuff them, you will probably be able to blend it out again. They are so much stronger than these items.
Moreover, they are about the same price.
heli_madken

Post by heli_madken »

I guess its a matter of taste but to me they look awful, especially the big weld that looks like I did it :)

Might be ok on a GS due to the utilitarian look but not on an RT, I have the OEM ones and they blend in well with the rest of the engine and look pretty smart to me, just my opinion of course.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

The thing is, your OEM one is Much stronger and putting aesthetics to one side, is better in just about every way apart from the weight difference.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

That's the one!
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

The one in DS99's photo looks like the Twin cam, it looks similar to the one on mine. The bolts for the head cover are a good indication as they are in different places for the two models, if the exhaust isn't visible.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Yep, that's the Camhead
wethead

Post by wethead »

The reason why I selected the cylinder head cover on the OP webpage was because it does have a lot of venting space for air to go through.

No matter how you look at it, if you cover a cylinder head with material you are blocking air flow.

I know some are gonna jump up and say: "it aint so". But will you have empirical data to show that the cover does not cause the fan to trigger sooner on a given hot day, or at a light?

I have the law of physics as a reasonable premise to say that a cover would block the cooling effects of heat dissipation and air flow from the cylinder head.

I am currently driving a friend's RT with a BMW cover. Its been rather cool around here, and I noticed the fans kick in at a light when it 'appears' to me they should not. I could be wrong about this.

The bottom line is that the fans hold the temp down right away cause the cooling system of the RT seems very effective--particularly compared to the water cooling of a C-14 or a V-rod.

I just as soon not put any thing like engine guards or cylinder head cover; but I am concerned about if I ever drop it. I am getting to be an old fart.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

sorry, i have deleted my post as i got it wrong and i was just confusing everyone!

Touratech do these for the water cooled GS/RT

wethead

Post by wethead »

Thanks ds, I do like the one you are suggesting here
heli_madken

Post by heli_madken »

I think the fact that the heads are water cooled would negate the issue of airflow a great deal, in addition the fact that they are OEM would suggest BMW did a lot of research into the effect of cooling on the heads and found no issues otherwise they would be setting themselves up for a lot of trouble
wethead

Post by wethead »

heli_madken wrote: I think the fact that the heads are water cooled would negate the issue of airflow a great deal, in addition the fact that they are OEM would suggest BMW did a lot of research into the effect of cooling on the heads and found no issues otherwise they would be setting themselves up for a lot of trouble

I appreciate your comment. However, you don't really have proof of your claim and indeed, I would suggest to you that depending on a manufacturer 'so called immaculate research' prior to producing goods is an assumption that is shaky at best. IE: the rear shock of the 2013 RT, the fuel cell on prior to wethead modes, to name just two.

If the cooling system alone would negate the variance of heat prompted by the boxer engine, you would not need a fan. The fact of the matter is the fan does come on because the engine mounts heat at a stop light, and air flow does prevent the fans from having to come on. Therefore, it would be logical to assume that air flow and heat dissipation variables do have effect on the boxer temp.

I am not saying that a boxer engine may or may not last 300 thousand miles with an engine guard; but I am suspecting that an engine guard does have an effect on the prompting the cooling fans to come on, and, that has other implications.