Looking for HID lighting clarifications - what is needed?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

Looking for HID lighting clarifications - what is needed?

Post by blastfurnace »

I have a 2013 RT

Looking for some HID low beam lighting clarification.  I know there are a lot of threads about this, but they all seem to be missing some basic info.  Lots of people have commented about installing the lights, but I haven't found much about the components they used.  Most manufacturers offer a CANBus ballast option.  Is this needed?  They also offer "no fault" relays, but I don't know if this is needed or not.
I am just trying to find out what is needed and if it is plug and play or if some additional tapping and spicing is needed. 
I am specifically looking at the DDM Tuning 35w 4300K lights. 

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-H ... 35W-or-55W

Thanks!
temesvar

Re: Looking for HID lighting clarifications - what is needed?

Post by temesvar »

Had a set about 5 years ago on a other bike. One still works, other burned out after 3 years. Changed bulb and ballast, they are not that expensive.
On the RT a bought a UltraCanBus. Yes, more expensive, but had no issues with. I don't know about your model/year bike, but mine was not easy
to install on the bike, so I removed the light assembly and installation was a breeze. Need to drill a hole in each cover behind the bulbs. I used a
hole saw, but don't remember what size. DDM provides some good rubber seals, so don't have to worry about water getting in there. Other than that,
everything is plug and play. I have 35w 4500K. Once you are done, when riding at night you will notice a huge difference! Good luck!
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

temesvar wrote: Had a set about 5 years ago on a other bike. One still works, other burned out after 3 years. Changed bulb and ballast, they are not that expensive.
On the RT a bought a UltraCanBus. Yes, more expensive, but had no issues with. I don't know about your model/year bike, but mine was not easy
to install on the bike, so I removed the light assembly and installation was a breeze. Need to drill a hole in each cover behind the bulbs. I used a
hole saw, but don't remember what size. DDM provides some good rubber seals, so don't have to worry about water getting in there. Other than that,
everything is plug and play. I have 35w 4500K. Once you are done, when riding at night you will notice a huge difference! Good luck!

Thanks for the info, temesvar!
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Have a look at the latest MOT rules, as I understand it they have to have wash and self levelling, certainly for cars, otherwise a fail.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

blokeonthemove wrote: Have a look at the latest MOT rules, as I understand it they have to have wash and self levelling, certainly for cars, otherwise a fail.

Not sure our MOT rules apply in North America
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

blokeonthemove wrote: Have a look at the latest MOT rules, as I understand it they have to have wash and self levelling, certainly for cars, otherwise a fail.

The draft MOT (UK) rules for 2018 state that any headlamp that has been converted from halogen to HID should be rejected.
John Bentall
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

The OP of this thread lives in USA. The UK MOT  applies  for, as by definition, to UK.