SHORTER SCREEN. 2014 onwards

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Maz12

SHORTER SCREEN. 2014 onwards

Post by Maz12 »

In anticipation of summer and hopefully hotter weather,  what options are out there for shorter screens?
I've found one by BMW {but didn't see its dimensions} but others seem harder to find
I recall the odd day last year where I was suffering with the heat and some wind blast would've been nice.
Has anyone any experience with shorter screens on the RT ?

Tones

Re: SHORTER SCREEN. 2014 onwards

Post by Tones »

To be honest, and I know it’s a while since a ‘good’ summer, with my screen at lowest setting, I get a good cool blast, and I’m only 5’5”
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

It's odd, I'm 5'9"..  Maybe I slouch a lot 😉
The more I think about it  I think I was wearing a BMW airflow jacket on the times I was uncomfortably hot.
I've never felt so hot on an RT (wet head & 07' 10, & 12)...  Maybe it was the jacket
Still think I'd like to try a short screen though
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The red 2017-18 R1200RTs have the shorter screen. Cee Baileys have stopped manufacturing M/C screens - and they did make shorter ones.

You could try an evaporative waistcoat under the Airflow for very hot moments?

Hope this helps....

John
John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Maz12 wrote: In anticipation of summer and hopefully hotter weather,  what options are out there for shorter screens?

Well my first suggestion is get a secondhand stock screen (there should be plenty available), a Jigsaw with a plastics blade and cut it down bit by bit to the height you'd like.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

bandytales wrote:
Well my first suggestion is get a secondhand stock screen (there should be plenty available),a Jigsaw with a plastics blade and cut it down bit by bit to the height you'd like.
ye
That's a decent idea
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Plenty of owners buying the new RT's with the "sport" screen taking them off. Should be found for sale I would think.

I tested a couple prototype shorter screens thinking they would have a market. Just like the Cee Bailey sport screens, they are not worth the time to install them. Just ride with the screen off the bike. Airflow will be a lot smoother. There was no way to keep tremendous turbulence off the rider as the short screen simply won't push air over the helmet. Only way I could stand them while testing was ALL the way down. I actually took it off on one test and rode back to the shop that way. It was better that way than with the short screen all the way down.

Each to their own of course, but windblast is ok for short rides. Beyond that the noise is tiring.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

realshelby wrote: Plenty of owners buying the new RT's with the "sport" screen taking them off. Should be found for sale I would think.
[size=2px]
[/size]
The reason for that is because they almost defeat the purpose of buying a sports tourer!

[size=2px]
realshelby wrote:
[/size]I tested a couple prototype shorter screens thinking they would have a market. Just like the Cee Bailey sport screens, they are not worth the time to install them. Just ride with the screen off the bike. Airflow will be a lot smoother. There was no way to keep tremendous turbulence off the rider as the short screen simply won't push air over the helmet. Only way I could stand them while testing was ALL the way down. I actually took it off on one test and rode back to the shop that way. It was better that way than with the short screen all the way down.
Each to their own of course, but windblast is ok for short rides. Beyond that the noise is tiring.
[/quote]

That's what i'd do if it ever became a problem (not much chance of that in the uk!)...screen off.