what if

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

what if

Post by slowvet »

What if BMW put a larger displacement engine in future models. I realize fuel economy would decrease but would the fun factor entice you? Just a little food for thought. Or is it sacrilegious to even fathom the thought?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: what if

Post by timminator »

slowvet wrote: What if BMW put a larger displacement engine in future models. I realize fuel economy would decrease but would the fun factor entice you? Just a little food for thought. Or is it sacrilegious to even fathom the thought?
The current RT and its LC boxer engine seems to be the perfect balance of weight distribution, torque, horsepower and fuel economy.  IMHO if you want more power, you step up to the K1600, but along with that comes all the extra weight. 

Now, if the engineers at BMW can figure out how to squeeze another 30hp out of that same engine footprint, I'll take it, but not at the cost of making the bike heavier.
Last edited by timminator on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Sorry don't agree. I think the current power to weight ratio is perfect for a touring bike. What the engineers need to fix are:

1) Poor switch gear.
2) Lockable SatNav.
3) MPH / KPH digital speed
4) Poor paint finish.
5) The clunky gearbox.

Then they would have the perfect bike. Not holding my breath. Mentioned all the above 2 1/2 years ago.
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote: Sorry don't agree. I think the current power to weight ratio is perfect for a touring bike. What the engineers need to fix are:

1) Poor switch gear.
2) Lockable SatNav.
4) Poor paint finish.
5) The clunky gearbox.

Then they would have the perfect bike. Not holding my breath. Mentioned all the above 2 1/2 years ago.
My first RT had 90bhp so they have increased it by 35.  My 1600 had 160 and didn't feel that much different on the road.
2 to 5 I agree with.  Switch gear reliability problems seem to be sorted, just about.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: My first RT had 90bhp so they have increased it by 35.  My 1600 had 160 and didn't feel that much different on the road.
2 to 5 I agree with.  Switch gear reliability problems seem to be sorted, just about.

Clunky gearbox is fixed - Isn't it
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
Clunky gearbox is fixed - Isn't it

Well mine never has anyway but if it's fixed depends who owns it.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The 2017 RT gearbox was streets ahead of my 2014 one. But it doesn't bother me enough to trade up, well not yet anyway  8)
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Casbar wrote: The 2017 RT gearbox was streets ahead of my 2014 one. But it doesn't bother me enough to trade up, well not yet anyway  8)

Trade up, that would be nice. But actually the only gripe I've got with my 2006 RT is the porridge gearbox. With the comfort seat and taller screen the bike is near perfect for my needs (two tours a year).
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I had a 1200gs as a loan bike during a service the gearbox was increadably smooth, I guessed it was a luck of the draw and maybe I got a Friday afternoon bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

steve.sharkey wrote: I had a 1200gs as a loan bike during a service the gearbox was increadably smooth, I guessed it was a luck of the draw and maybe I got a Friday afternoon bike.

I suspect it's to do with year, rather than model.  I traded my 14 RT (LC) for a new GS and the gear box is totally different - way smoother - as is the action of the GSAP shifter.

That said, coming from Ducatis and Guzzis, I never thought the box on the 14 RT was a problem...
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

slowvet wrote: What if BMW put a larger displacement engine in future models. I realize fuel economy would decrease but would the fun factor entice you? Just a little food for thought. Or is it sacrilegious to even fathom the thought?

Well, well, well. How do you boys feel now about the ‘19  model? Personally I’m all for it, just hoping fuel economy doesn’t take a hit.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Levisp wrote: Sorry don't agree. I think the current power to weight ratio is perfect for a touring bike. What the engineers need to fix are:

1) Poor switch gear.
2) Lockable SatNav.
4) Poor paint finish.
5) The clunky gearbox.

Yep. They have lured a lot of us in but failed to deliver on so many points.
Switch gear could be better
Lockable Sat Nav
Panel strength (too many people have tabs broken off).
Headlight bulbs could be accessed so much more easily by having a headlight cluster that removed from the front (like my Ford).
Storage space lacking
Screen design
Seating design
Handlebar grip diameter
Possible handlebar height concerns
Access to air filter

I am sure there are MANY other things too.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like BMW are going backwards not forwards. Having owned a Hexhead & two Twincams, IMO, the following items are satisfactory.

Paint finish - no corrosion issues.
Gearbox - smooth, no clunks when selecting first from neutral, or going up & down the box.
Panel strength - solid & all secured with screws, no tabs to break.
Headlight bulbs - fairly easily accessed by removing the upper fairing panel (4 screws).
Storage space - if no audio fitted, there is a huge glove box on the RHS of the tank, plus under seat & tailpiece storage is good.
Access to air filter - easy enough by removing the RHS upper & lower fairing panels.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

David. wrote: Looks like BMW are going backwards not forwards. Having owned a Hexhead & two Twincams, IMO, the following items are satisfactory.

Paint finish - no corrosion issues.
Gearbox - smooth, no clunks when selecting first from neutral, or going up & down the box.
Panel strength - solid & all secured with screws, no tabs to break.
Headlight bulbs - fairly easily accessed by removing the upper fairing panel (4 screws).
Storage space - if no audio fitted, there is a huge glove box on the RHS of the tank, plus under seat & tailpiece storage is good.
Access to air filter - easy enough by removing the RHS upper & lower fairing panels.

I had to laugh, because my 1150 (which I still have) is even better! Sadly the Wethead engine and gearbox are so addictive, I am using the Wethead more and more!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

slowvet wrote:
Well, well, well. How do you boys feel now about the ‘19  model? Personally I’m all for it, just hoping fuel economy doesn’t take a hit.
Sounds good with 1250cc VVT and potentially 150 bhp. :)