Vibration over uneven surfaces - should I be worried?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
gogs01

Re: Vibration over uneven surfaces - should I be worried?

Post by gogs01 »

Back2TheBike wrote: ...... What does TC sound like, feel like etc .....

I've only once noticed traction control (ASC) kick in.  That was on my 2010 twin cam - I gave it a big handful going (straight) up a hill on a surface which was wet, cold and, apparently, greasy.  The bike went from accelerating to slowing and misfiring - it took a second for me to realise what was happening and close the throttle.  It felt as if one of the HT leads had been pulled off - quite dramatic in my case.

Without ASC, I imagine the wheel would have spun up and started to overtake the front, at which point it would be down to the rider's reactions as to whether it developed into a drama !

I can't say whether what you experienced was due to the ASC, but it should only come in when you're trying to accelerate faster than the available grip will allow.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks for this. All my occurrences were 30-45 mph, gentle acceleration over a rough surface though. I think I'm going to fit some Roadtec 01's in the spring, just need to get permission from the financial controller  ;D
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Back2TheBike wrote: I'm new to the RT, still getting a feel for the bike. It's a 2016 plate SE, 4000 miles, up to date with servicing. I've noticed a harshness when riding on poor surfaces, such as ripples in tarmac or where the road has been repaired. It feels like I'm riding across a washboard, and the first time it happened I wondered if something had come loose from the underside. The vibes seem to emanate from an area slightly behind and below my feet. It disappears on good road surfaces, and seems to have no effect on the bike's performance.

I read somewhere of a similar effect from 'shaft backlash', but don't know whether that is it. I've done a visual check, pushed and pulled various stuff such as both stands, and all seems solid.

I'd appreciate the collective consciousness of the Forum - is this just the 'character' of the bike, or a problem?

I've ridden many thousands of miles on different bikes and noticed this straight away on my new RT. I just put it down to the suspension and the telelever front suspension on certain road surfaces.

It certainly handles brilliantly for a heavy tourer and I don't notice it anymore.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

A few weeks since I posted this and I'm sure you're correct. You've certainly got more experience than me, so it's reassuring to hear this. Funnily enough, it seems to have disappeared from my bike. Maybe just a function of a particular surface and bikes mechanics? I have checked my tyre pressures and they were down a couple of psi front and back, but apart from that nothing is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
truckin42

Post by truckin42 »

Happened upon this thread as it seems somewhat similar to my situation. 2016 RT, Metzeler Z8, 15,000Kms (Canajun). Fair amount of noise coming up thru the fork cavity especially on rougher road surface, very noisy on really rough granulated pavement, like sections of Rt 66 in Nevada. Noise greatly reduced on smoother surfaces, but still noticeable at all times now. Handling fine but started to feel a difference as miles (kms) went on. Plenty of tread left but noticed raised surfaces like bumps spread evenly around both sides, off center of the tire. Can only think that this would definitely add a lot to noise and the feel I sensed. Front tire only, rear is fine. I've never seen this on a tire before.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

The Z8's are notorious for scalloping the front tire and making lots of noise. Especially when even slightly leaned over. Might help to put a little more pressure on them but ultimately the solution will be a different set of tires. There's lots of opinions on tires. Just search this forum and others.
Steve
truckin42

Post by truckin42 »

Continued with my search and found this:

https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=0
...is exactly what my tire looks like. "Scalloping" - thanks Steve. Looks like a new set of tires is what's needed.
Wayne
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

When I had Metzeler Roadtrec01 tyres on my 2014 LC, I'd sometimes get a buzz sort of sound like I was riding on very fine corrugations, but I always thought it came from the front. Occasionally I might have felt a vibration in the footpegs. This varied with the surface (sealed) and only happened occasionally.
I noticed it started right after I got the Roadtec01 tyres after having Bridgestone T30 on previously.
The Roadtecs are the best sports/touring tyre I've had so far, I got 14,000 km from the set.
Now I have Michelin PR4 GT (the servicing dealer only had PR4 in stock), the noise and vibration no longer occur, but the tyres are not as good feeling at the Roadtec01 were.
I would have the Roadtec01 again, the occasional sound and vibration sensation just seem to be part of that tyres characteristics.
So perhaps the Z8 also exhibit the same sort of effect (I've never used Z8 tyres).
Peter
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Truckn,
Pay close attention to the wear on the rears also. Those Z8 will look OK, then 300 miles later you'll be showing the belts through the center. Scared the hell out of me when I was on a trip last fall. Had to limp 80 miles to a dealer to have them replaced. I switched to the Roadtec 01's and am pleased with them. The front makes a little noise but it's not too bad.
Steve
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Littlebriar wrote:Pay close attention to the wear on the rears also. Those Z8 will look OK, then 300 miles later you'll be showing the belts through the centre.
Had the same problem with Z6's, got caught out in Scotland & had to have a tyre changed whilst away.

This photo is a Z8, (not my tyre).

Have Metzeler addressed this problem with the new 01's tread pattern.

Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

David. wrote: Have Metzeler addressed this problem with the new 01's tread pattern.
1st 01 rear I had got a puncture after only 3500 miles. I haven't worn down the second yet so can't report that they have addressed the problem. I do like the 01's a lot though. Feel stable, including wet. Looks like tread life should be good too. Not as noisy as the Z8's either.
Steve
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

RiDE magazine just rated the Roadtec01 as the top sport touring tyre, ahead of the new Michelin Road5.  Anyone here tried the Michelin yet?  Really happy with my PR4s.  Bike came on Z8s which I didn't like much.  The rear only lasted the 50 mile ride home from the dealer before I found a big screw in it.  Why would you ever need tyre insurance  >:(
truckin42

Post by truckin42 »

Steve,
Yes, thanks, it's talked about much on the other link I provided regarding the sudden wear to the rear. Currently there's a fair amount of rubber left on the rear, so hoping to get more out of the tire before they are replaced this season. I admit I'm a bit worried about the scalloping (assumed same as cupping?) on the front as it has to be a deformity in the tire I would think, can't be attributed to wear. Would the folks here think the tire should be replaced sooner than later, also a good amount of rubber left on it.
Wayne
truckin42

Post by truckin42 »

Forgot to add that the Dunlop RoadSmart III looks to be a suitable replacement, anyone have comments?
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

truckin42 wrote: Forgot to add that the Dunlop RoadSmart III looks to be a suitable replacement, anyone have comments?
Very pleased with the Roadsmart III. On my 3rd set now... good handling in all weathers. Had PR4's previously & the Dunlop's are as good in wear & handling.  They also  tip into bends sharper. All in all a good buy IMHO.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.