About the brain bucket!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

About the brain bucket!

Post by temesvar »

Since most of the readers on this forum are from Europe, was wondering what is the trend there regarding
wearing a helmet. As well, any opinions about wearing or not wearing a helmet, and what type of helmet,
if choose to wear one. Riding thru USA, I noticed that in many states helmets are optional. Is there any country
in Europe that helmets are still optional?
Personally, I will always wear a helmet, and only full face, or to be more precise, a modular one. I prefer modular,
since can open the face when fill up, of when stopped by a police officer, or at border customs. Also, at low speed
in high city traffic is great to be able to lift the face up! I believe everybody has the right to use whatever means
of protection they choose, or not. After all, they are responsible for the consequences.
Tones

Re: About the brain bucket!

Post by Tones »

After recently tripping up coming down the stairs at home and demolishing a bookcase with my head, causing deep lacerations, there is no way in hell I would ever ride without one.
As far as I’m aware, all European countries require a helmet to be worn and up to European specs.
panaray

Post by panaray »

While I find riding without a helmet liberating, I find the practice very risky. (very uncomfortable too).  I live in Massachusetts, which has a helmet law, but all of the adjacent states near me (NH, CT & RI) do not. 

I don't want to get into politics about Affordable Care Act (aka Obama Care, of which I support) and its impact for how laws are influence by other factors such as healthcare, but in the end, the main driver for this behavior is that Americans have different view of value (benefit/cost, with the  "benefit" being riding enjoyment without a helmet) than most other countries.

As they say in New Hampshire, "Live Free or Die."  However, I'd like to add, "...but don't make me pay for your risky behavior." 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No country in Europe allows you to ride without an approved helmet on.  Nearest you can get is ride a trike.  We find it quite nice but on the open road always wear one.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: No country in Europe allows you to ride without an approved helmet on.  Nearest you can get is ride a trike.  We find it quite nice but on the open road always wear one.

Sikhs who wear turbans do not have to use a helmet also. Sikhs who do not wear turbans must wear a helmet.
John Bentall
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

And here is another reason why I like to wear a full face helmet: :eggs:
Now just imagine how mucho a "real" biker looks like when he shows
up with a beard full of flies... :alas:
Attachments
IMG_0388.jpg
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

beemerboy9 wrote: Sikhs who wear turbans do not have to use a helmet also. Sikhs who do not wear turbans must wear a helmet.
Yeah, kinda hard to fit a helmet over a turban... :alas:
And then again, a turban may offer better protection then some
cheep open face helmets!!!
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Full faced (flip type) on the RT and Open faced on the H-D for me, i only have the visor down on the full face when it gets down to about 2 degrees though.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

I got whacked in the face shield a few years, by a rock pitched up by the car in front of me, put a pretty good mark in the plastic, it was right at eye level
Since helmet law was introduced in California the number of young organ donors has decreased, just saying
Jim
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

T6pilot wrote: Since helmet law was introduced in California the number of young organ donors has decreased, just saying

This is stunningly obvious to everyone except those who choose not to wear helmets!
John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

temesvar wrote: Personally, I will always wear a helmet, and only full face, or to be more precise, a modular one.

Well I agree. For me the current top of the pile modular helmet is the the Shark EvoLine 3. I have been so impressed with these over the years and keep coming back to them.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

bandytales wrote:
Well I agree. For me the current top of the pile modular helmet is the the Shark EvoLine 3. I have been so impressed with these over the years and keep coming back to them.

I bought one of the 'Shark Evoline 3's' after glowing reports on the way the 'Flip' works and thinking I might save money in it doubling up an open face helmet for the H-D?  Worst money I've ever spent on 'full face' helmet!.. You have to regularly 'lubricate' (with the supplied oil) the rubber lip at the top edge or it's 'difficult/near impossible' when the rubbers dry to close the visor fully! It's also terrible in any sort of rain and you get spits of water constantly flicking up/down in the face when the visor is fully closed. As I said, Worst £250 I've ever spent! Looks pretty in the Satin Black & Silver Mezkal design though.  :)  Not the best in the 'Sharp Helmet Safety Tests' either.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

Agree 100% Simba. In fact in rain it's downright dangerous, reducing visibility to zero. I've swapped to a Shoei Neotec which is lighter, better ventilated, more comfortable and has pinlock. Oh, and you can ride in the rain!
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

[size=2px]
simbo wrote:
[/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px]I bought one of the 'Shark Evoline 3's' after glowing reports on the way the 'Flip' works and thinking I might save money in it doubling up an open face helmet for the H-D?  Worst money I've ever spent on 'full face' helmet!.. You have to regularly 'lubricate' (with the supplied oil) the rubber lip at the top edge or it's 'difficult/near impossible' when the rubbers dry to close the visor fully! It's also terrible in any sort of rain and you get spits of water constantly flicking up/down in the face when the visor is fully closed. As I said, Worst £250 I've ever spent! [/size][size=2px][/quote][/size]
heathy65 wrote: Agree 100% Simba. In fact in rain it's downright dangerous, reducing visibility to zero. I've swapped to a Shoei Neotec which is lighter, better ventilated, more comfortable and has pinlock. Oh, and you can ride in the rain!

Well guys, I have to respect your views. I am an all year motorcyclist and cover about 12000 miles every year. I have been using the Evoline 2 and the Evoline 3 for about 8 years. I have had drips or water when the rain has been crazy. It is normally a sign that the seal needs a smear of silicone lube. I ride in open face mode most of the time until the weather deteriorates. For me the helmet scores top because the flip front really does flip fully over and is very good when opened unlike the Shoei (and just about every other helmet) the front acts like an air brake and is very uncomfortable open.
So, I acknowledge your point of view, and as ever, continue to try other lids, but for me, the Shark is the winner.

carpedatum

Post by carpedatum »

The saddest thing I've ever seen in motorcycling was a child of about seven seated behind his Dad on a motorcycle in suburban traffic, neither one wearing a helmet.  I literally could not form words, at the time.  Making that universally an issue of child endangerment feels like it would be a good start.  Kid = ATGATT.  Can we at least do that?

A Shuberth C3 Pro saved my life in 2016.  Needless to say, I bought another.  I was wearing it when I passed an accident scene in rush hour earlier this week, and got a brief glimpse of a bike and rider down in the center lane.  Shorty helmet.  Leather jacket.  Leather fringe on the saddle bags of a not-very-nimble machine.  He was being tended to, but clearly not going to be well for a very long time. 

Wear the gear, people.  It makes a difference! 

Last edited by carpedatum on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.