Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT - cash back (UK)

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Sprintgull

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT - cash back (UK)

Post by Sprintgull »

Afternoon all,

Finally got over to Micheldever Tyres yesterday and had the Metzeler Z8s that came with the bike replaced with a pair of Michelin PR4s.  They were £275 fitted and then the nice man gave me a piece of paper that will let me grab £30 back from Michelin.  So £245, not too bad.

The offer is valid in August and September and is a Michelin promotion so should be valid from any dealer - ask before they fit..

Not much of an opinion on the tyre itself yet - it was hosing down so had to take it very carefully.  Seemed good in the wet though.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT - cash back (UK)

Post by B787MECH »

I recently changed to Metzeler Roadtecs and they were doing a similar thing, I got a card worth £30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Damn. Just had a set of PR4 GTs fitted to my bike, back end of July. So it looks like I just missed the promotion.  :grave:
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I've got about 1500 miles on the tyres now and they are great.  Got caught in a complete monsoon in Yorkshire last week and they handled it with no issues at all.  Still look like new too.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Until the end of March 2018, Michelin are offering £30 off (free fitting) on selected tyres including PR4 GT & the new Road 5.

See your local Michelin dealer for further details.

Looks like it's that time of year again, Dunlop had the same offer on the RoadSmart range of tyres, unfortunately it ended on 14th March 2018.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I need new tyres, just been quoted £235 ride in, ride out for PR4GT  for both, which isn't a bad price :)

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Suspect the PR4 price may ease a bit with the Road5 being released recently.  Good news!  Just because there's a new version does not suddenly make the PR4 a bad tyre.  Fill yer boots!
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I always check the manufactured date of the tyre, which as displayed as a four digit number on the side of the tyre.

It's displayed as week and year, so 5216 would be the end of December 2016.

Apparently, tyre suppliers can legally sell tyres that they've had on the shelf for up to 5 years.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Apparently, tyre suppliers can legally sell tyres that they've had on the shelf for up to 5 years.
Not sure that there is any current legislation/law in force, just industry guidelines on tyre age.

I seem to remember my chosen tyre supplier/fitter saying.

"Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail up to 5 years from the date of production."

"When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 - 10 years old."
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote:
I seem to remember my chosen tyre supplier/fitter saying.

"When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 - 10 years old."

Or when they're 'Bald' Image

good info on the discount Image

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From an MOT point of view, tyres are visually inspected, there is no age limit.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... 000101.htm
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sprintgull wrote:Suspect the PR4 price may ease a bit with the Road 5 being released recently.
In the Pilot Road range, Michelin offer four versions in sizes to fit the RT, PR2, PR4, PR4 (GT) & now R5.

Using the Michelin fitment guide, they only recommend the PR4 (GT) for the RT.

Have read that the Road 5 (GT) for RT's will not be available until 2019.

http://moto.michelin.co.uk/GB/en/tyres/ ... oad-5.html

BMW Motorrad current recommended tyre options for LC RT's are only Metzeler Z8's (M front & C rear),  plus Michelin PR4 (GT f & r).

Using NBT https://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/ as a price guide, PR4 (GT) are £232 a pair & Road 5 are £235.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I asked the question - make your own decisions :)

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the interest in Michelin tyres for your bike.

The Pilot Road 4 GT was developed while working closely with BMW to adapt the standard Pilot Road 4 to better suit the particular demands of the R 1200 RT and a short list of other bikes.  Michelin were not entirely happy with the handling of the bike when using the standard tyres, in particular when/if the bike was pushed quite hard, and we engineered a solution to ensure rider satisfaction.

The solution was to create a new casing construction with optimised ply angles, made possible by a new assembly process to increase cornering stiffness.  Cornering stifness has increased by 15% without resorting to increasing the number of casing plies which otherwise would have added approx 700g to the weight of the tyre.  This construction guarantees the stability of the bike at speed without sacrificing comfort.

The Pilot Road 4 GT remains our recommended fitment for your bike, and the standard Road 5 tyres are not recommended.  We are developing a Road 5 GT tyre, but it will not be available in 2018.

I hope that this helps,

Best regards,