Gear Issues

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
juniorswailing

Gear Issues

Post by juniorswailing »

While riding home last night I noticed that I’d accidentally come out of a junction in 3rd gear when I thought I had kicked it down into 1st. Thought no more about it until I got to the next junction, by which time I was up in 5th, and tried to change down, only to discover that it wouldn’t go lower than 3rd.

I had to run home on a 60mph road and managed to get into 6th but I couldn’t get it to go any lower than 5th gear before I got home. I left it overnight and first thing this morning I went out and had a look. Nothing obvious sticking in the mechanism so I sprayed as much as I could with WD40 and left it for about an hour.

Thereafter I was able to get it to change down as far as 1st, but only by using my hand. If I’m sitting on it and using my foot it won’t go lower than 3rd. I’ve sprayed it some more with WD40 and left it at home to see if that will easy it off.  Changing up the way isn't as slick as it was before.

I’ve had no issues with the gear change up till now and not used the bike much in the last week due to heavy snow in my area. Otherwise I do use it on a daily basis. Each time I’ve had it out I have power washed it to get the worst of the crap off it but, not being aware of a potential problem, I’ve not been paying particular attention to that area.

The bike is a 2011 with 36,500 miles on the clock and is due it’s next service.

Anyone had any similar issue and if so how was it resolved?
Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Gear Issues

Post by exportman »

WD40 is not a lubricant.  It will displace water and any lubricant  that  is in the linkage    If the linkage is the problemthen you need to use oil not WD40
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

exportman wrote: WD40 is not a lubricant.  It will displace water and any lubricant  that  is in the linkage    If the linkage is the problemthen you need to use oil not WD40

I disagree - I believe WD40 is a lubricant, but I would agree that a good lubricating oil would be better for this kind of application - and longer lasting.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Probably a build up of crap on the ball joints of the selector rod, (parts 1,2 and 3 of the image) Could be worth giving it a good spray of brake cleaner to try and flush any build up of crap out, then a good squirt of a white spray type grease which will soak around the joints while fluid to lubricate it, It'll also form a seal to prevent any further crap entering once it solidifies.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

Cleaned it up and it is possible to move through the gears, just.

However the gear level goes much lower than it should sp I'm suspecting some damage to the linkage.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Does it need adjustment on the selector rod?
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

I'm having someone look at it tomorrow so hopefully it will be sorted soon.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Good to get it checked out. 

A couple of things (and please feel free to correct me here), but if the bike will change down at all then it is unlikely to be a linkage fault because the motion will be the same for any shift, with the actual cog swapping being internal.  If it won't change down at all then you are right to look at the linkage.  Is it the same whether you are stationary or on the move?  If only when stationary then try releasing the clutch very very slightly; not enough to make the bike move, but enough to cause a little movement inside the box.  I had a Triumph where I needed to do that.
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

The bolt on part 1 in the above diagram has sheared according to my man.

A few bits to be ordered and then about an hours work to fix it.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

juniorswailing wrote: The bolt on part 1 in the above diagram has sheared according to my man.

A few bits to be ordered and then about an hours work to fix it.

I guess it was just spinning on the splines rather than performing an action then, Be interesting to know why the pinch bolt sheared off?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Part of my winter “deep” maintenance regime is to dis-assemble, clean and grease the linkage balls and shaft bearing bushes (item 8) . It is a bit fiddly the 1st time, especially removing and replacing the “safety clips” (item 10). However, the resulting effect can readily be felt in the gear change action. As this maintenance task is not part of the BMW service schedule there must be lots of bikes out there with totally dried out linkage joints and with a less than a “nice” gear change action.
Don,t know why the chap in the shades keeps coming from ?. Should read item 8.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Yes have to say I have done many things that are not listed for service.

Here is my post on Shifter Lube.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/171530-shift-linkage-lube.html

I also did a exhaust flap clean/lube/inspect.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/171474-exhaust-flap.html

Here is how I do my brake flush and caliper clean.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/164913-brake-flush.html

There is a lot of things not mentioned for service that need done.

Last edited by LAF on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

If you haven't replaced, or at least cleaned up, the gear lever linkage then I'd recommend that you do it.

What a difference!!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Checked the gearshift linkage/lever, found that all was good, very clean under the engine etc.

There was a slight "side to side" movement on the selector shaft #03. The shaft pivots on the bushes #08, within two frame loops. All free to move easily by hand, gave the pivot points a squirt of ACF-50.

The plastic washers #09 prevent any crap getting into the ball joints.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

The “plastic” washers (item 9) on mine are sponge. I have been thinking of re-newing them next strip down.
Last edited by Our Gee on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.