New to the RT: tips?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rens

Re: New to the RT: tips?

Post by rens »

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Only a couple hundred miles on it so far- im definitely seeing the rationale on the screen and perhaps the grip enlargers.  Gs911 definitely in the works but a few years on down the line. 

What engine bars are considered  good and dont interfere with valve and filter servicing?

Finally all you folks recommending bar risers: how tall are you? Im 6´1¨ with a 35 sleeve and the stock feels ok to me.  But my longest ride on my new bike so far is 3 hours....i did do 5 x 8 hour days on a rental rt a year or 2 ago and i wasnt in traction...am i missing out?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'm 5ft 8 and don't have risers and can ride all day with normal breaks and no issues. Think its a personal thing.

Have a look at this web site, you can put in your height etc and alter bar height and compare how it will alter your lean etc.

http://cycle-ergo.com
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

6' 1" here,  Did 2500 miles in Europe last year on stock bike other than Sargent seat. No problems.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Casbar wrote: I'm 5ft 8 and don't have risers and can ride all day with normal breaks and no issues. Think its a personal thing.

Have a look at this web site, you can put in your height etc and alter bar height and compare how it will alter your lean etc.

http://cycle-ergo.com
The simulator is interesting but not particularly useful if you don't know what optimum values for the results such as lean angle, knee angle and hip angle. Can someone point me to some information on such things? Thanks
Steve
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Littlebriar wrote: The simulator is interesting but not particularly useful if you don't know what optimum values for the results such as lean angle, knee angle and hip angle. Can someone point me to some information on such things? Thanks
The simulator can be used as a comparative tool: You have or had a bike you were comfortable with.
Check them sizes with that and compare with a other bike. Nobody can suggest other than yourself
what riding position is best for you.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

temesvar wrote: The simulator can be used as a comparative tool: You have or had a bike you were comfortable with.
Check them sizes with that and compare with a other bike. Nobody can suggest other than yourself
what riding position is best for you.

+1 - Just put a bike in you have ridden, had, if it was comfortable, then compare the values.
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

Tools you will want for service:

GS911                                            Service reset
T50-T40-13mm socket-T25                Exhaust and rear wheel
10mm hex-strap wrench  -T25          Oil drain and filter change
6mm Hex-T45                                  Rear drive oil change
T45-13mm socket-17mm socket        Front wheel
T25-phillips number 2                      Air filter
T25-Coil puller-5/8 thin wall socket    Spark plugs

I am doing this from memory and don't remember the Torx size for the valve cover......careful....only 10 nm torque

Ron
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Not sure if your year is the same,  but the 2005's mirrors can loosen and pop off or can come off with a slight brushing contact with car mirrors, etc.  They're only held on by ball-joint posts and rubber sockets.  Pop them off and thread a zip tie thru the mirror and the fairing, tightening it  but leaving enough slack so, if you need to access bolts, etc under the mirror, you can have enough room to back the mirror out and insert a tool to cut the tie.
rens

Post by rens »

Kellenbenz and jackronner thanks for the pragmatic info.

On my r1200rt ac the mirror covers pop off easily but have factory fitted straps on to keep them on the bike.  Ive not looked if the mirrors themselves do.  Will check..Thanks!

Has anyone got info on turning the speaker grilles into storage compartments?