Riding a 2018 RT after 10k on a 2010 TC

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rhun

Riding a 2018 RT after 10k on a 2010 TC

Post by Rhun »

I've just gotta say wow. I was loaned a 2018 RT LE whilst mine is in for some warranty repairs.
It's like everything I love about mine but better. The engine is super smooth, is noway near as picky about gears and the quickshifter is superb.
It definitely feels far less agricultural however potentially lacks the character of a boxer?
Will be strange going back to my RT after a week on this.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Riding a 2018 RT after 10k on a 2010 TC

Post by T6pilot »

Couple years ago my riding buddy got very low mileage 07rt was pretty happy with it till he rode my 15, traded the next week on a then new 16, hasn’t looked back
Now I’am wondering what the next level of RT’s bring, having just paid mine off
Jim
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I've only ridden 1 rt and that's my '11. I love everything about it but would really like more power. As it is, it boogies right along but rather pedestrian as it lumbers up to speed. I pretty much know for a fact that I'd want to sell or trade mine in on a '14 or newer if I rode one. Precisely why I haven't ridden one yet. Looking forward to the '19 and the reviews.
Rhun

Post by Rhun »

slowvet wrote: I've only ridden 1 rt and that's my '11. I love everything about it but would really like more power. As it is, it boogies right along but rather pedestrian as it lumbers up to speed. I pretty much know for a fact that I'd want to sell or trade mine in on a '14 or newer if I rode one. Precisely why I haven't ridden one yet. Looking forward to the '19 and the reviews.
I agree with your statement regarding power however I find it just about has enough and it never complains even fully loaded 2 up. For me the thing stopping me changing to an LC is financial. I own my TC out right whereas the newer ones are very expensive, plus to change over insurance half way through the year you get pumped over here in the UK for fees.

Maybe in a couple years, maybe in a year and a half when my AUB warranty runs out. It has come in very handy so far (new fuel pump, ABS front sensor, fuel strip, FD powder coat, FD bearings). Safe to say I haven't been the luckiest with my RT.

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Rhun wrote: .....  Maybe in a couple years, maybe in a year and a half when my AUB warranty runs out. It has come in very handy so far (new fuel pump, ABS front sensor, fuel strip, FD powder coat, FD bearings). Safe to say I haven't been the luckiest with my RT.

Sorry to hear the troubles you've had with your RT.

I've had four different RTs and I hope it's some comfort to hear that, so far, each one has been better (and with fewer issues) than the last.  The 2017MY is great !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Rhun

Post by Rhun »

gogs01 wrote:
Sorry to hear the troubles you've had with your RT.

I've had four different RTs and I hope it's some comfort to hear that, so far, each one has been better (and with fewer issues) than the last.  The 2017MY is great !
I think it has a lot to do with the fact it was a 1 owner bike before I bought it and he only did 2 or 3k a year. Whereas I've done 9k in the winter alone. Luckily the bmw warranty is brilliant, it's just been silly stuff like sensors mostly. The fuel pump was more a precaution than anything else. The engine is a peach.