SW-Motech Tank Ring for R1200RT LC (Wethead)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

SW-Motech Tank Ring for R1200RT LC (Wethead)

Post by bandytales »

As a design engineer, I find a couple of things about it a little hard to live with. I thought I'd ask those of you who have them, what you feel about it.
The rear part (the open ended part) of the horse shoe ring has very sharp edges on it. This is caused by the chamfer in the rear parts. Can you think why that needs to be so sharp?
Secondly there are 5 spacers that lift the tank ring clear of the tank. Do you users feel that these need to be this long?

Cheers.
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SW-Motech Tank Ring for R1200RT LC (Wethead)

Post by pwbike »

I have one on my bike. It does seem a bit sharp at the back, but I have no concern about it.
The spacers seem to be more needed with the larger bags. I have a Daypack and it clips on and off perfectly easily, but I have a larger bag (City) and it is much harder to get to clip on properly unless it's quite full. The mount plate seems more recessed and the bag is also floppier because it's larger. You sometimes have to put a hand inside and press down to get it to click into place.

What really annoys me about the SW-Motech (and Givi) accessories is that they are model specific for our BMWs, and yet they supply Allen key cap screw fasteners instead of Torx fasteners, so now you need a set of Torx keys and a set of Allen keys to work on the bike.
Peter