Test Rides

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Gman1969

Test Rides

Post by Gman1969 »

Just rode the S1000XR and the Ducati Multistrada 1260s, both lovely bikes but still preferred the RT - so the new 1250vvt for me next year.
S1000XR was a rocket ship and a lovely bike but just felt I wanted another gear - I'm probably not used to a high revving bike it just sounded like it was straining - probably just me getting too old for it! The Ducati is a nice bike but did not like the dash and did not feel as prestigious as the beemer, just my thoughts but the handling was amazing - oh wind protection was shocking!
GvG

Re: Test Rides

Post by GvG »

By windprotection "shocking" you mean good or bad?

How was the quickshifter working on the Ducati? And did the quickshifter feel better than on your R1200RT?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Is there really going to be a new RT next year? Don't BMW normally release a new engine in the GS first, if so, is it a new GS this year?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Think Casbar is right, GS will see new engine first followed by RT, Seems you folks on the east side of the pond get the new model first.  My local dealer in Southern California has been very mumm on any new models
Jim
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Rumors are a 1250 GS will be out end of this year. RT will follow the next year. 
Do we need a 1250?? And why are they not making a 600 boxer?? (something
i would NOT have to lower the suspension and be able to lift up if need to? :eggs: )
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Would like to see a digital display get onto the RT for next year too.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Gman1969 wrote: S1000XR was a rocket ship and a lovely bike but just felt I wanted another gear - I'm probably not used to a high revving bike it just sounded like it was straining - probably just me getting too old for it! The Ducati is a nice bike but did not like the dash and did not feel as prestigious as the beemer, just my thoughts but the handling was amazing - oh wind protection was shocking!

Me too. I didn't like the feel of that engine at all unless I was hooning around. My licence is to precious for that. No, don't like 'Buzzboxes'. The Boxer wins.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

Yes Wind protection was awful on the Ducati, but the quick shifter was pretty good until it found a false neutral between 4th and 5th which was really off putting.
Quick shifter on the S1000XR was very smooth.
My 2016RT quick shifter is not great, I hear they improved it and the gearbox on the 2017 model.
New engine will be out on GS, RT, RS for next year, BMW not taking any new orders past June.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

Not sure about the new display on the RT but it would make sense to follow
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There was a post on another forum where the journalist who took the spy shots of the new RT, thought the big TFT display was for BMW diagnostics whilst testing and was not going to be fitted to the RT, at least not as a bleeding big screen. Also the TFT on the GS only has basic nav, ie arrows which show the direction, and is fed from the users phone. So you still need a Nav unit, so all that will have to be fitted into the dash of the RT.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

A TFT display is the only thing currently that would see me part company with my RT Iconic. If it comes on the 19 Rt even better, as the first MOT is due on mine and it would be a perfect time to change.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

stayingupright wrote: A TFT display is the only thing currently that would see me part company with my RT Iconic. If it comes on the 19 Rt even better, as the first MOT is due on mine and it would be a perfect time to change.

Why would you even consider getting rid of the Iconic. It is the best looking BMW by far since the era of the R90S and its ilk.
More power? Mah..havent you got enough?  Technology? same thing?
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

A chap that's on another group is considering selling his Iconic for a GS as he is worried about scratching the paintwork!?
Its a stunning looker too!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Having ridden the S100XR a couple of times now and having ridden the earlier Multistradas (1200S and 950), I found them all very easy to ride, including very fast, but they don't really compare with the R1200RT.  If the RT really suits you (as it does me) it's unlikely you'll swap to any of these others.  Now, if you're looking for something quicker to lose your licence on that much more easily, I would recommend the top of the range Ducati Multistrada.  Huge fun, but not for me.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE