A Place To Chat

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

What would be your preferred option?

Tap Room
55%
Coffee Lounge
20%
Neither
25%

Total votes: 20

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

A Place To Chat

Post by k9doc »

In light of recent posts I was wondering how many of us would welcome a place to have a chat or discussion about the events of the day or any other subject that took our fancy. Maybe even have a civilised disagreement or debate around some contentious issue or another. A place where the non-technical posts, eg What did you do today? What bike? etc could be lumped together. This poll is obviously purely academic as non of us have a say in these matters, but if enough are interested, then maybe we could approach the Boss.

Incidentally for those younger members or those based outside the UK, a 'Tap Room' is or was a room in the pub where working class chaps (usually the case back in the day, no sexist implications) would congregate after work or of a weekend to have a pint or two, have a game of darts, dominoes or crib and indulge in a spot of lively badinage.
Coffee lounge, similar but a little more refined.
Chris
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: A Place To Chat

Post by Casbar »

Think that would be a good idea, but in the spirit of this forum, it shouldn't be a no holds barred place. If you frequent the UKGSER forums, things can get a little out of hand there. So basically, some lively debate, banter, whatever, but not to the state of really upsetting people or really offending, if that is possible! Now I don't consider if someone asks for oppions or comments and then get the hump when they get negative comments as out of order.  ;)
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
I agree with most of the above. Likewise if people ask for opinions and feedback then yes, they should be able to accept whatever comes but I still feel that negative comments particularly when they have personal connotations should be made as tactfully and diplomatically as possible. That in my view is civilised behaviour. Uninvited churlish and sarcastic comments are a different thing entirely.
Do you think we'll be getting any more snow this year?  :D
Last edited by k9doc on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

k9doc wrote: Do you think we'll be getting any more snow this year?  :D
Nothing heavy but plenty of snowflakes  :alas:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Running 50-50 on the poll at the moment, I wonder if those who voted 'neither'  (4) would like to comment as to their reason for voting neither?

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

smileymiley wrote: Nothing heavy but plenty of snowflakes  :alas:
:thumbs:
Chris
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

We seem to have a lot of 'youth' crime in the media these days, stabbing's, gun crime and acid attacks. They seem to be feral, no respect for the law or their parents!  What's brought all this about do you think?
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

simbo wrote: We seem to have a lot of 'youth' crime in the media these days, stabbing's, gun crime and acid attacks. They seem to be feral, no respect for the law or their parents!  What's brought all this about do you think?

I think it's there way of releasing tension built up from forums  8)  (this is the pub/coffee room area isn't it, knowing me it won't be and I'll get my 4rse kicked)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

simbo wrote: Running 50-50 on the poll at the moment, I wonder if those who voted 'neither'  (4) would like to comment as to their reason for voting neither?

I voted "neither" because I don't read only certain sections, I read every post chronologically.  It doesn't make any difference to me in which section they were posted.

A secondary reason would be that, outwith certain areas of England, members may not know what a tap room is.  Assuming that the "tap room" would encourage the kind of debate occasionally found where alcohol is involved (highly opinionated, with industrial language and possibly culminating with an offer to sort things out "outside"), I can see no point in a supposedly civilised forum.  You can be as cheeky / sarcastic / belligerent as you like on line without fear of physical reprisal, but you won't encourage new members to join and you'll almost certainly lose some existing members.

Since the basic idea of the forum is to share knowledge, experience and opinions of any topic surrounding the R1200RT, I would prefer not to have a section specifically for people who want to be sarcastic, rude or dismissive of other members experience or opinions.

Anyone else care to comment on having voted "neither" ?

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:Anyone else care to comment on having voted "neither" ?
I voted "neither" & agree with your comments.

Surely, that is not what STeinar had in mind or intended to see happen when he set the forum up.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not bothered either way, but unless something dramatic happens, this forum will die, its dull now. Nearly every question can be answered with the use of the search button. Hopefully a new model will come along to give us something to talk about.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: I voted "neither" & agree with your comments.

Surely, that is not what STeinar had in mind or intended to see happen when he set the forum up.

??
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Reading some of the above makes me wonder if people actually bother to read previous posts in a thread before posting themselves. I hate to admit this but I find myself agreeing with Casbar again (FM whatever next  ;) ),good job evolution didn't stop at the primordial slime phase. Another thought comes to mind; if I don't fancy a drink I could always walk on by the pub and do something else. There is also the option of the coffee shop.

Regarding STeinar's thoughts, might be interesting to find out the direction in which he would like his forum to go and the type of folks he would like to attract. I assume he keeps his eye on things. I think in one of his previous posts, he mentioned the fact that more folks are leaving than joining. If that is still the case, then there is food for thought.

P.S. @simbo. Lack of parental discipline followed up by lack of discipline at school followed by emasculation of the police. Spare the rod, spoil the child, bring back the birch, never did me any harm etc. etc.
Nice to hear from you again michaelc.  :)
Last edited by k9doc on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The forum has developed in to a good source of information for existing & potentially new RT owners.

Ride outs have been posted, weekends away arranged & friendships made.

Having seen the decline of other motorcycle forums, I hope this one doesn't go the same way.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^^^^
While all the above is true, I suspect that one of the most successful forums measured in any way you like is UKGSer. Now before anyone jumps in, I'm in no way endorsing the way some people conduct themselves in their B&B section. I have to admit  however that it can be very entertaining and I doubt very much that I'm the only one to have a crafty peep when things are a little slow on here. Mind you I'm no snowfake and not easily offended. :thumbs:

Last edited by k9doc on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris