BMW Helmet Intercom Bluetooth Pairing to other intercom systems?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

BMW Helmet Intercom Bluetooth Pairing to other intercom systems?

Post by Toaster »

Hi Guys,

I've got a BMW EVO 6 helmet with a built in Bluetooth headset and microphone. Should I normally be able to pair with other makes of Bluetooth headset for bike to bike communication? Reason I ask is, I was told the BMW Bluetooth use for their intercom systems is somehow 'different' that that used by other intercom manufacturers and is therefore incompatible??

Cheers

David
Toaster
Great Britain

Re: BMW Helmet Intercom Bluetooth Pairing to other intercom systems?

Post by Toaster »

Hmmm...since no-one has replied perhaps my question is not very clear....

I ride a 2014 R1200RT and I link my BMW Evo 6 helmet to the bike and to the Garmin GPS and all works fine. I will be going on a group ride soon, so the question is...will I be able to pair my helmet to other Bluetooth intercom devices (such as a Scala) so as to have bike to bike communication.....has anyone tried to do this before?

Cheers

David
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

No first hand experience of the BMW system, but I would probably doubt it. Even pairing Senna to Scala is difficult unless its one fo the very latest units. So depends on who makes the comms unit and how modern it is. Maybe try asking the question on one of the US forums, maybe the BMW LT forum.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

And if an answer is found, please post on here because I have a BMW helmet and communicator and might want to pair with a friend who has, I think, a Scala intercom.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Toaster
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

Thanks guys....I'll try that...cheers...
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

I am pretty sure you can only pair the same manufacturers and for some it has to be the same model
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I have a Scala Packtalk, it will pair with other makes and I have done it, works fine. Never tried with the BMW one though.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

blokeonthemove wrote: I have a Scala Packtalk, it will pair with other makes and I have done it, works fine. Never tried with the BMW one though.

That is because the Pactalk is a newer model, with more advanced software, the same as he latest Sena. If you had a G9, like I used to have, it would connect to naff all but another scala.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

i think you will struggle getting it to connect to other makes of headset,  ive given up trying to connect to my mates Scala ruder g9 and he's a whizz with techno stuff.
i think your best chance i Senna as they seem best at connecting to other headsets
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I can't even connect my scala rider qz to my navigator, let alone another rider LOL. Furtunately Grunhilda orders me around via the radio system on my bike :enjoying:
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Toaster wrote: Hmmm...since no-one has replied perhaps my question is not very clear....
I ride a 2014 R1200RT and I link my BMW Evo 6 helmet to the bike and to the Garmin GPS and all works fine. I will be going on a group ride soon, so the question is...will I be able to pair my helmet to other Bluetooth intercom devices (such as a Scala) so as to have bike to bike communication.....has anyone tried to do this before?
Cheers
David

The biggest "problem" is that BMW are still using the old BlueTooth version 2.0 and 2.1 in their products (Also the newest for v7 helmets), and most others are now out with version 4.1 - and  version 2 and 4 are not directly compatible.
BMW BT are doing a good job as long as you do the basics - and mostly for intercom use - but do not have all the possibilities that 4.1 are giving you.

STeinar

slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

I heard there was no actual "standard" for Bluetooth intercom which is why interconnecting various manufacturers intercom systems is fraught with problems

My mate and I circumvent it as both of us have "all inclusive" mobile phone contracts and simply use the mobile phones as intercoms when on tour, and of course there's no problem with being out of range :D
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1