A Place To Chat

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

What would be your preferred option?

Tap Room
55%
Coffee Lounge
20%
Neither
25%

Total votes: 20

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: A Place To Chat

Post by Casbar »

Been a paid member of UKGSER for a few years now. Mainly I might add for the for sale section. But if you can put aside some of the posts (you don't actually have to read them), there is a lot of very good information on there  8)  I also find the RT facebook page pretty good for information, snow flakes need not apply though  :whistle:
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Yes, I agree UKGSer is a good source of information, a lot of which can be applied to the RT.

I dabbled with it briefly, but it wasn't for me because of the inappropriate comments on the subject matter within the thread being discussed.
For me, this is the very reason we are now having this debate on here.

We are all different personalities, what suits one, doesn't suit another.

This forum has lost the input from some well informed & valuable members.

Based on the number of members who have voted positively in the poll so far (11) & the few different members (7) who have commented within this thread, there seems to be little appetite for such an area on the forum.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Casbar wrote: Been a paid member of UKGSER for a few years now. Mainly I might add for the for sale section. But if you can put aside some of the posts (you don't actually have to read them),there is a lot of very good information on there  8)  I also find the RT facebook page pretty good for information, snow flakes need not apply though  :whistle:
Uncanny, I've also been a subscriber on UKGSer for years, joined in my GS days and like you subscribe mainly for the 'For Sale' section. The RT section is a bit quiet. They do however cater for other marques. I know what you're thinking!  ;)
Only been on Facebook once when I was looking for a dog to rescue and someone else did that for me so I'm safe enough there.  :)
Agree UKGSer is a good source of knowledge and helpful info as well and some great ride reports and touring info. It's not compulsory to go in the pub and wouldn't want that particular variant on here.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: Based on the number of members who have voted in the poll so far (15) & the few members who have commented within this thread, there seems to be little appetite for such an area on the forum.
??  11 for, 4 against to date. I make that a healthy majority in favour. Early days though.
David. wrote: This forum has lost the input from some well informed & valuable members.
Any idea as to why that is?

Last edited by k9doc on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

To date, the forum has 2,756 members.

My interpretation of why some members no longer contribute is because of some of the replies they received to their threads/posts.

I may be completely wrong, but reading between the lines points me towards this conclusion.

I stand corrected if anyone has any other ideas.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

k9doc wrote: ??  11 for, 4 against to date. I make that a healthy majority in favour. Early days though.

I did wonder about that comment as well? Image  Maybe there's people who've voted in the poll that 'Want' a bit of humour,banter and debate injected in the forum but don't want to be seen like they do? Ya know, The ones that load the gun, But they're afraid to fire it and give it to someone else to do the deed.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I think a restatement of the envisioned end point may be in order as it definitely is NOT a place where people go to shout at, swear at, insult and generally be obnoxious to each other. I have frequented a few tap rooms in my time and although sometimes a little lively, I don't recognise the above description. May be the term 'tap room' was interpreted too literally and a bad choice on my part.

It seems obvious that of late, the most lively threads have been the ones where people have had differing opinions on a subject and they have generally been conducted in good spirit. If you don't want to express an opinion, then you don't have to as seems to be the case with the majority.
Likewise the picture threads, what have you been up to?, favourite music, guess the location/vintage bike have all started well and then fizzled out. I suspect this may be because they drop down the active list and get forgotten about. I for one don't work my way through every thread, every day.
If these threads were all placed together, some with a 'sticky', then hopefully interest would be maintained and they wouldn't fade away after a few days.
A diet of dry facts can become a little stale after a while and it's difficult to get excited about which oil or what is the best tyre yet again. Variety is the spice of life.
Topics for discussion don't have to be highly contentious or controversial to the point where we start throwing pint pots at each other and as someone pointed out, the forum was invented as a place for debate, a library is a depository for facts.
Nowt wrong with a bit of colour especially on some of these dreary wet days we are getting of late.

Chris
Taz

Post by Taz »

I am currently sitting in Manchester airport at 5 am waiting for a flight to Germany and thought that I would browse the forum (what else is there to do?).

I do like the forum and the advice offered on various topics. I can take or leave some of the comments because they reflect life in general.

I have a question which you folks may be able to answer. My wife has a bad hip and is finding it increasingly difficult to get on and off the bike, especially if the panniers are fitted. Does anyone else have a similar problem and can offer advice (don’t suggest a crane as I did and that got me a black eye).
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Hello all!
Well - it's probably time for me to join in here  ^-^
This forum was made to have a place to ask/give/share/search information about the RT an close related matters.
It was not intended to be a generic chat  room - there are a zillion of other possibilities/places - spesial made/put up for that.
Not to mention all social medias these days.

I prefer to have 1 good informative message here, than 100 not so - and that probably are not related to the bike/riding or other related matters at all.
It's not a goal to have a zillion messages here, but to have good information and a place to ask for and give help in relation to the bike/add ons/clothes etc - directly related to the bike or hoby as it is.

Yes - I do fully agree - that some users of this forum are quite noisy - and quite aggressive to others - and not easy accepting that others can have different meanings than them self - and that DO scare other users away - and I'm really sorry to see that happens.
Not to talk about the subject hijacking - that is taking place in most topics and threads here.

STeinar

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Well said STeinar.  It is good these days to find a forum that is mostly friendly and constructive.  People talk about banter; that comes in many forms.  Personally I don't need it here, there's more than enough in other areas of my life if and when I want it.  What I value here is the constructive advice and well meant humour that usually prevails.  It is a real shame that the slightly heavy approach on some occasions has driven people away who had good stuff to say and were open to constructive criticism.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I suppose that's it then, worth a try but the traditionalists prevail. Still interesting to see the result of those that bothered to vote. However I think it's fairer to assume that all those that didn't vote acted because they didn't care enough for or against rather than as suggested earlier, namely that they lacked enthusiasm for the chat room.  Thanks to all those who took the trouble to vote and post either way.
Chris
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nope, think its more, everyone on here are nice placid people and can't be bothered. Being one of Steiner "Noisy ones" I am considering hanging up my spurs and leaving you al too it, I can browse and get info if there is anything interesting going on, but I don't want to be a thorn in anyones side  8) 
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: Nope, think its more, everyone on here are nice placid people and can't be bothered. Being one of Steiner "Noisy ones" I am considering hanging up my spurs and leaving you al too it, I can browse and get info if there is anything interesting going on, but I don't want to be a thorn in anyones side  8)

Hang in there Casbar! Your different outlook on things keeps the less mundane of us interested in what could be classed as a rather dull place  8)    Friday Fun day tomorrow! wohoo!! 
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Having the occasional strong opinion on a topic and being prepared to make a little noise about it, I fear that I too may be heading for the 'naughty corner'.
Last edited by k9doc on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

k9doc wrote: Having the occasional strong opinion on a topic and being prepared to make a little noise about it, I fear that I too may be heading for the 'naughty corner'.

Hang in there K9! don't let the Sheeple's deter your input!!  :)  I'm off to feather now! Obviously with the RT Owners manual for a little light reading  ;)  Who knows what the thought of the 'lazy lob' after reading that might bring?  [size=78%] [/size]Image