Disappointed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2383

Disappointed

Post by guest2383 »

Last Saturday, I took my 15 plate RT in for a service and its first MOT - it passed unsurprisingly, but this is what the service report identified:
Paint bubbling on engine casing.
Paint bubbling on transmission.
Excessive noise coming from gearbox - gear-change clunky in manual mode - OK in shift assist - recommend strip and investigate.
Excessive noise from rear transmission - recommend investigate and rectify.
Tyres 1.6mm - recommend replace.

The bike has led a pampered life (my second RT) and only has 8k on the clock.
When I asked them about sorting this out at BMW's expense, I was told that they couldn't do that - I didn't kick up a stink about it at the time for two reasons:
1. Having been left alone in the toyshop whilst this was being serviced and not being strong-willed, I got a good trade-in deal on another, younger RT from one of the sales guys.  :clap:
2. I had not taken out the extended warranty.

The sales guy has honoured the deal (in fact I managed to beat him down a little more), but I still feel that for a 3 year old bike that has been meticulously looked after, I should not have to put up with what I consider to be quality issues.

Collect my new bike on Saturday and I will be keeping a very close eye on everything during the warranty period.  :nervous:

Your thoughts on this are welcomed.
Levisp

Re: Disappointed

Post by Levisp »

Yes disappointing indeed. BMW unfortunately is not a quality product anymore. One thing puzzles me. If the bike has led a pampered life why did you not notice the paint bubbling and tyre depth ? Just curious don't take it personally.
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

The tyre tread depth is not an issue at 1.6mm - I had planned to replace them before my next trip.
Nothing wrong with this tread depth and they were still performing fine.

Paint - to be honest, I didn't think it was that bad - certainly no worse than my last RT and that was never picked up on by the dealer.

Box - this was always a bit agricultural compared to a Jap bike, but the shift assist worked so well, I used that most of the time.

I just expected better from what is portrayed as a premium product - certainly at a premium price.

I intend to be a PITA with the next one from Saturday - still looking forward to getting it though  :happy fourth:
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Sounds like dealer is doing a little fishing. ;)
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I have to say that I have always found them to be straight and very helpful in the past over my last 2 RT's.
My concern is not so much with the dealer as I have no reason to think that they are trying it on, but with the QC department of BMW.

I would be interested to learn whether or not they either rectify the perceived problems or tell any new prospective buyer about what they now have on record?  :talk:
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I just expected better from what is portrayed as a premium product - certainly at a premium price.

This is exactly the comment that I put forward with the wreck of my '14 RT. (see posts) Loads of issues that had to be remedied... but I had to fight for everyone to be resolved. Certainly leaves a bitter taste in the mouth!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Collected new bike yesterday -full LE spec in carbon black metallic  and it looks great, so I am happy again!

I'm just fickle I suppose  :shirty:

Will be keeping a very close eye on this one during the warranty period.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

No pic's?? :not:
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Sorry too busy riding it yesterday and raining today.
Will post some asap. be
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Hope these work - took them last week in the showroom...
[attach=2]

[attach=1]
Sorry about the one lying down
Attachments
20180414_091957.jpg
20180414_092011.jpg
Last edited by guest2383 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Looks a bit like mine, but mines an 09 plate. (well, same colour at least)  Was an extended warranty available?
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

It's a Carbon Black Metallic on a 17 plate - it has a blue hue to it in sunlight.
It came with 2 yrs warranty and I can extend that if I want to / can afford to when that runs out.  :-\
wethead

Post by wethead »

georgie,
I think you are being hustled by a shop who wants work.

Look around the shop: Are there lots of bikes, how many mechs are sitting around with their finger up you know where.

I would try another shop.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
euphony290

Post by euphony290 »

As far as the 'clunky gearbox' is concerned I agree! The strange thing is that my RT goes into 1st gear so easily and quietly, after start-up (when cold!). Thereafter, it clunks when 1st is selected. I can't understand why any bike's gears should make a noise in this day and age when so much progress has been made with bikes and especially the engineering. Cars don't make any noise at all so why a bike?
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

It's not just BMs that clunk when you select 1st gear when the oil gets hotter and from an engineering point of view, motorcycle gearboxes are totally different to cars.