fuel smell

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
FRY600d

fuel smell

Post by FRY600d »

Hi i have a 2014 RT which i have had for a few months.It has always smelt of petrol.i assumed i could smell from the breather.But i am beginning think it has a slight leak.i am asking the forum if theirs smell or is this unusual.Thanks Carl
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: fuel smell

Post by David. »

A "Google Search" came up with this thread on BMWMOA, https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... 14-R1200RT
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

FRY600d wrote:i am asking the forum if theirs smell or is this unusual.Thanks Carl

Yes. It is NOT right.

realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I used to have that raw gasoline smell from my 2014 RT. Finally figured out it was the fuel cap not seating. I put grease on the latch assembly, and make an effort to close it more carefully.

Never a whiff after doing this!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

No, On my 2015 RT I’ve never smelt fuel other than when opening up the obvious, ie tank filler cap! I occasionally get a whiff of what smells like hot rubber after a run on the bike. Clueless as to exactly what is causing the smell, but it hasn’t ever caused any issues to date.
garr2

Post by garr2 »

On the odd occasion I've had that fuel smell it has been after refuelling. The filler cap doesn't give that satisfying click if I simply press it down after refuelling.
I find it better to raise the fuel cap catch with my thumb as I press down on the fuel cap. It seals properly which means  no escaping fuel vapour.
On an earlier RT model (ie 2004) I got the vapours when the quick disconnects weren't joined properly or were cracking up with age. But that's another problem altogether.

Ian
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

garr2 wrote: ... The filler cap doesn't give that satisfying click if I simply press it down after refuelling.
I find it better to raise the fuel cap catch with my thumb as I press down on the fuel cap.

Ian

Yes, +1 to that.