Battery drain

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
ddevane

Battery drain

Post by ddevane »

Hi All

Ive a 2005 RT. Battery drain is terrible. 24-48hrs parking and it’s goosed. Def not battery as replaced and problem persists. No GPS. Can some one point me how to remove the factory alarm as someone said that might be a culprit and I never use it anyway.

Thanks All

Declan

guest2360

Re: Battery drain

Post by guest2360 »

One other possible cause.  It’s possible to plug an adaptor into the accessory sockets to adapt then to a usb socket.  These, with nothing attached can run a good battery flat overnight. 
ddevane

Post by ddevane »

Thanks but afraid don’t use those so not that
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ddevane wrote:Can some one point me how to remove the factory alarm.
This article shows how to access the alarm unit on a 2013 TC RT to replace the batteries, https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com/201 ... ion-alarm/ might be similar on a 2005 Hexhead.

Disconnecting the alarm unit may prove whether or not it's causing the battery drain. Don't know if this will result in any other problems.
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi ddevane,  On a drain that can flatten a good battery in 24 hrs you would get a small spark when connecting the battery cables. Disconnect the battery and lightly touch the connector back on and you should see it.
Then disconnect the alarm and try the connector again, if it still has a slight spark then the drain is still there.
Alternator would be the next one to unplug in case the rectifier diode has gone, the rectifier controls the alternator output but will also drain a battery if faulty.

Just a thought, have you disconnected the battery fully and left it for 24-48hrs  then reconnected/ tried to start the bike, just in case the battery is faulty.

ddevane

Post by ddevane »

David. wrote: This article shows how to access the alarm unit on a 2013 TC RT to replace the batteries, https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com/2016/04/23/replacing-batteries-of-bmw-r1200rt-90-years-anniversary-edition-alarm/ might be similar on a 2005 Hexhead.

Disconnecting the alarm unit may prove whether or not it's causing the battery drain. Don't know if this will result in any other problems.

Thanks David

This helps but I’m still not sure how to disconnect the alarm entirely
ddevane

Post by ddevane »

michaelc2710 wrote: Hi ddevane,  On a drain that can flatten a good battery in 24 hrs you would get a small spark when connecting the battery cables. Disconnect the battery and lightly touch the connector back on and you should see it.
Then disconnect the alarm and try the connector again, if it still has a slight spark then the drain is still there.
Alternator would be the next one to unplug in case the rectifier diode has gone, the rectifier controls the alternator output but will also drain a battery if faulty.

Just a thought, have you disconnected the battery fully and left it for 24-48hrs  then reconnected/ tried to start the bike, just in case the battery is faulty.

Thanks Michael

There is definitely a drain. Good advice to disconnect alarm but that’s what I’m not sure how to do. Welcome any instructions from anyone how to disconnect it.

Is rectifier diode commonly at fault and easier to replace than test adequately?

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ddevane wrote:Welcome any instructions from anyone how to disconnect it.
Find your BMW R1200’s DWA connector & battery, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsc5P7Ir5rw

DWA módulo de alarme, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nsd5A8vKOg
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddevane

Post by ddevane »

Thanks David. I can find the alarm box but I’m looking for instructions on how to disconnect the alarm entirely without affecting other components so it can be ruled in, or out, as cause of battery drain.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Disconnect the alarm box & see what happens.

On bikes without DWA, the plug is blanked off, suggesting it doesn't effect other components.

HEX ezCAN R1200 Installation (BMW R-series) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X22HdaWOe-o fast forward to 5:00.

The blanking plug No. 06 has a resistor in it, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=77_0227, will probably need to be re-instated once DWA control unit is disconnected.

As a trial, disconnecting the unit & leave the bike for 24-48hrs will prove whether the DWA unit is causing the battery drain.

A more technical approach would be to use an ammeter & check the current draw on the battery, with & without the DWA unit connected.
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddevane

Post by ddevane »

Thanks for patience David

Does DWA connector only resource the DWA ie won’t affect other components?

Thanks.

Declan
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ddevane wrote:Does DWA connector only resource the DWA ie won’t affect other components?
From what I can see, the answer is yes, the DWA connector only supplies the unit itself.

If the trial or ammeter test proves the DWA unit is the cause of the battery drain & the unit is to remain disconnected, don't forget to fix the blanking plug (with resistor),  it must be there for a reason.
ddevane

Post by ddevane »

Thanks David

1. Definitely a spark there when connecting battery with ignition in off

2. Was getting 0.07amp draw

3. Disconnected that DWA plug. Seems to have reduced draw to 0.00-0.01

4. Will see what happens overnight.

Many thanks!

Declan
ddevane

Post by ddevane »

Hi David and all

So, battery drain does seem to be pointing toward alarm but Ive another weird problem which might be source of problem all along

When I start bike, and run for say 20-30mins, turn off, starter turns engine sluggishly and it wont fire. Back in again and I see battery is at 12.4v and thats not enough to fire (battery is 6 months old and this problem was present with previous battery....hence reason for changing battery in first place). Put onto chargeer for 30mins, and it fires fine. Im getting 13.85v at battery when running.

Any idea what the hell is going on.....

Thanks all

Declan
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

ddevane wrote: Thanks David
1. Definitely a spark there when connecting battery with ignition in off
2. Was getting 0.07amp draw
3. Disconnected that DWA plug. Seems to have reduced draw to 0.00-0.01
4. Wll see what happens overnight.
Many thanks!
Declan

Hello!
The alarm unit has a rechargeable battery inside, and sometimes this battery needs to be replaced, or the unit will try to recharge ll the time - and taking power from the main battery. 
I have not opened a alarm unit from  the bike, så have no clue what sort of battery this is - or if its changeable or not without tools.

NB!  A small spike when reconnecting the battery - do NOT by it selves indicated anything.  There are capacitors and electronics inline - that will make a spike when power do come back (after reconnecting the battery)  and this is normal.

NB! Even the GPS has a internal battery, and will also (re)charge if fitted - after reconnecting the battery !

STeinar