Return to riding

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ragman

Return to riding

Post by Ragman »

I am a newbie and have been lurking here for a while. I want to return to riding after about 13 years. My last bike was a tank (VTX 1800 retro). I sold it in 2005. I have been riding motorcycles since I was 13. I am 68 years old now. I really like the RT but I have a question that has probably been answered many times.

Is the RT the right bike for me? I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam. I am more concerned with the learning curve after being off a bike for so long.

All of my riding years have been on cruisers. I am planning on retiring at the end of this year and want to ride cross country next summer (East coast to west coast and back). I am reluctant to buy a smaller bike and then wish I had bought something I really want to end up with. I know that many of the responses will be "buy a smaller bike to get your sea legs back and then upgrade). That is a sound response but if I can buy the bike I want and practice, practice and practice then I may be ok.

Thanks for your advise!!!!
Sprintgull

Re: Return to riding

Post by Sprintgull »

The RT is a great bike when you are moving, well balanced and forgiving, but it is a heavy old girl to move about and at very low speed.  If you can, I'd get something cheap and light to dial yourself back in and then see how you feel.
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

I am 54, 5'6", with a 28" inseam. Like you, I've been riding over a span of decades but have been out of it for about 9 years. Long story short, I was severely tempted to buy the Honda CTX 700 DCT because I thought I needed something to ease my way back in and would then, in a couple of years, upgrade to something bigger (I had two 1200cc sport-touring bikes most recently).

I was WRONG! Fortunately for me I decided to buy a used RT and in the first hundred miles I knew I would have HATED that little bike.

I have ridden one of those VTX 1800 cruisers and I will attest to how incredible the RT is to that machine. The RT is not much heavier. Heck, without looking up the data I would actually bet you that the RT is both lighter and has a lower center of gravity. Your inseam is fine for the RT and, not knowing you or your physical condition, I would offer that if you think you could handle the VTX now, the RT will be easier in every way. Low speed handling compared to the VTX is...well...there really is no comparison. The VTX is terrible in this regard and the RT is like a ballet dancer.

Edit: the VTX 1800 Classic weighs 804 pounds wet. The RT is 609 pounds. That's almost 200 lbs lighter!

So, in summary, don't buy small you'll just want something bigger in like a week. Get the RT, you're going to love it.
Last edited by Pappy35 on Thu May 03, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I would suggest that you take one out for a test ride (1/2 a day should do).

Apart from riding it, try manoeuvring it both in a sitting and standing position - that should give you a good idea as to whether or not you would be happy to live with it.

I too am a short arse  :alas: - 5`8" (at least I used to be, but I'm sure I'm shrinking) with a 28" inside leg and I feel confident in riding the RT.

Make no mistake though, she's a heavy old girl at standstill, but once moving, she carry's her weight well.

Good luck!
kiki

Post by kiki »

Can i assume you are located in North America?
If so, take a minute and locate your nearest Motorrad dealer. Then plan a drive there to sit on and see the bike up close, as well, and have your name added to the test ride day when it comes in the next month or so. Be aware, coming onto a BMW that the service cost are generally higher than other brands (most likely higher than your Honda was), but that can be offset by doing work yourself, if you are well equipped and have the knowledge. Also, the BMW dealers are fewer in number and that has been a factor for some potential buyers.

As far as small bike/big bike -- if you are unsure about the size, spend a weekend on a "refresher" ride course. Having done the long distance stuff, a small bike can be fatiguing to ride for long stretches. Good luck

BTW-- if you buy, be sure to post up a pic
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

I'm 5' 6", 164lbs with 282 inseam and have no problems. with the standard seat on the low setting I can get both feet on the ground easily. As for the weight, yes the R1200rt is heavy, but it's low down weight that is easily managed and once rolling it's very stable. My advice would be, go for it and enjoy.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

The RT is heavy bike. And when panniers and top box loaded, its even heavier. The main time you notice it is when parking and stopping/starting. You have to judge where you stop carefully, make sure its level ground, no gravel etc

But, as said, once it's moving the weight isn't an issue.

Best thing is to test ride a few bike and see what feels right
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

I don't understand comments describing the RT as heavy. It's the lightest bike among its common peers: Honda ST1300 (731 wet), Kawasaki Concours C-14 (670 wet), FJR1300 (642 wet). I won't include any cruiser weight as we all know how overweight they are. I don't know about the Ducati's and other 'pedigree' bikes but they are fewer and farther between anyways. It's 200 pounds lighter than the types of bikes the OP said all his experience was on. It's low speed behavior is not comparable at all to ANY cruiser, even lightweight ones (by this I mean easier). I've been off a motorcycle for 9 years and in an hour I was making u-turns in the width of two US car parking spaces.

As for maintenance costs, it might be a bit more expensive but not to any real significant degree, especially if one can do their own checks (which are easy due to the valves hanging out to each side of the bike). If you have tools and the ability to watch a few YouTube videos for familiarity combined with a good service manual, shop visits would be limited to repairs or warranty issues only. I've never touched a BMW motorcycle before in my life and in a few hours I did the equivalent of the 12k check without even breaking a sweat.

Seriously, this machine (the RT) is about as close to a perfect motorcycle as one can get. I did forget to mention that I, as was suggested, took the Harley Davidson/MSF basic rider course just to refresh the basics of motorcycle handling before I bought it. That is definitely a good idea that's well worth the money (I paid $90 for my class after balking at the initial $300 offer).
Last edited by Pappy35 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

For reference, the Honda CTX 700 DCT I mentioned, weighs 507 pounds. Even more if you add side cases. For a motorcycle with it's capabilities, the RT is NOT heavy.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I think there is a different perception of "heavy" and "manageable" from USA riders versus UK riders

In the USA roads are generally wider, straighter and there's lots of big car parking spaces. There just so much more space in the USA

In the UK the roads are extremely busy, often narrow, potholed and generally everything is much more "squeezed in"

I know from experience when I ride around Spain/France the RT is great, yet when I get back to the UK the RT seems heavier and more unwieldy, just because the roads are different and there's loads more traffic to navigate
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

ds99 wrote:I know from experience when I ride around Spain/France the RT is great, yet when I get back to the UK the RT seems heavier and more unwieldy, just because the roads are different and there's loads more traffic to navigate.

Yeah. If I had to maneuver in very tight quarters I could see that being a problem but wouldn't the RT still shine above a heavy v-twin cruiser in that situation? Everything I've posted is of course in comparison to something like the VTX1800. I mean, if one is inclined to want a scooter in their particular situation of course the RT is a poor choice but the OP mentioned wanting to ride across the US and so the only real choices are machines that are capable of such a trip. I can't think of any small/lightweight ride that could do a round-trip coast to coast and not kill my butt/back in the process. Something like the R1200GS or the Honda Africa Twin would be good choices too but they require long legs and aren't really any lighter. The Honda/Yamaha sport-touring mounts are substantially cheaper new or used than a BMW but cost wasn't a concern he expressed.
Last edited by Pappy35 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidr8
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Return to riding

Post by davidr8 »

I own an 2005 ST1300 and have rented a 2015 RT so I can offer a perspective on the RT and the ST. Previous to the ST1300 I owned a 2006 Triumph Tiger.

I’m 5’9”, 32” inseam and weight 170lbs.

I ride two-up about 50% of the time so weight distribution matters a lot to me.

The Tiger was a brute. It carried 22 litres of gas up high. Add in a full top box and a pillion and you’re talking about an ungainly bike at low speed. Fully gassed it was over 500 lbs.

The ST1300 is a heavy bike with a wet weight of 730 lbs. Underway the weight absolutely disappears. It’s not a tall bike so part of its agility is due to its low centre of gravity. I’ve dropped it twice and had no problem picking it up.

For comparison I dropped the Tiger four times and each time I needed help to pick it up. But the ST’s low CG meant I easily picked it up. And it weighs 200 lbs more than the Tiger. Two-up the ST1300 is much easier to handle than the Tiger. In fact, one of the Tiger drops happened two-up at low speed. I’ve also stopped the ST from going down mainly because its less top heavy.

I was apprehensive about the size of the RT when I rented it. Physically it feels huge. Underway, either alone or two-up it was so easy to ride, as easy as my ST. We rode the RT on some pretty technical roads in NorCal; miles of first gear switchback type of roads and I felt very comfortable. Low speed handling was easy because it’s tall but has a low CG. I could put my hip against the seat and I felt very confident moving it around parking garages etc.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an RT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by davidr8 on Sat May 05, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duty First

Post by Duty First »

Ragman,
I am like you on the wrong side of 60yrs of age (67) with numerous ailments in my very used body.  ^-^

After owning numerous bikes I have recently purchased a 2007 R1200RT in as new condition.

I've ridden 6,000klm since I got it in late December '17 and with out doubt I think it's the best bike I've owned/ridden.  I recently rode from Adelaide, Sth Australia to to Melbourne, Victoria Australia and return (1,600klm) and it was great.  For a bike of it's size I do not consider it heavy.
In August I am riding from Adelaide to Townsville for an Army reunion and after my recent trip I am looking forward to it this 8,000Klm (return) ride.

I personally would recommend the R1200RT to you..
cycler

Post by cycler »

Sprintgull wrote: The RT is a great bike when you are moving, well balanced and forgiving, but it is a heavy old girl to move about and at very low speed.  If you can, I'd get something cheap and light to dial yourself back in and then see how you feel.

Well, I gotta say this is a great thread.  I match up physically with you and it has been about 11 yrs since I sold my Road King.  Gotta keep an eye on this thread, just a lot of good info.
Kingron

Post by Kingron »

Hello everyone.  This is my first post here. I am in the same boat. I've been riding since '77 almost exclusively Harleys. From sportster to electaglide classics. My last was an 04 heritage. Memorial day 2010 I moved wrong and hurt my back. Bad enough for an ambulance ride to the ER. 1 cervical fusion, c5,6,&7, and 6 lumbar surgeries with l5,6, 7 & s1 fused. Drs say I need 1 more fusion now in both neck and lumbar. Screw it. Not going to happen. I am 59 and not ridden in 8 years. But, I am ready. I think I want an RT. I did ride the heritage short rides after neck surgery but before lumbar fusion. It was fine. Leaning forward a little is better than upright. So, time for a new to me bike and given what I like to do, I think an RT is it, even though I am now disabled and can no longer fix airplanes like I used to. I admit I am a little nervous about this, and hope I am not making an expensive mistake.  The search is on now and I have found 3 on craigs list that have my attention. A cherry 06, a nice 09, and what appears to be a standard 15 but it's listed really cheap at 9500. It must have a ton of miles.

My biggest concern is picking it up if I drop it, followed by how long can I stay in the saddle. Like some others I have short legs. 5' 9" with 28" inseam and with my weight gain, 200 pounds. I do have to be careful as I have a spinal cord implant and absolutely have to avoid pulling the wires loose that are now a part of my spinal cord. The fine dr says not to lift more than a milk jug. Yeah right. I have lifted 60 pounds and figure done correctly lifting an RT would be mostly legs. Am I right in that belief? I have dropped the EG and learned to back up into and under it with very little lifting. How hard is it to pick one of these up? Every time I have dropped a bike has been at a stop or backing up.

I have been bikeless for too long. The better half has given me the ok as long as I am careful and as long as I buy her a newer car next after the bike is paid for. I'm liking the RT community and the forums and can't wait to be an owner.