Nav 5 lock for RTLC

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Sprintgull

Nav 5 lock for RTLC

Post by Sprintgull »

Okay, okay, I'll live to regret this......  I know we have had a few threads on this before but, now some time has passed, I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried any of the home made or commercially available solutions to cope with BMW's laughable omission of not having a sat nav lock on the LC.

Before I get rightly pilloried for reopening this can of worms, here's my thinking:  I want something that means I don't have to worry about leaving the Nav 5 on the bike during brief stops (fuel / coffee / pee / etc).  Not looking for a longer term solution, like overnight.  Why?  Firstly I keep dropping the bloody thing, or, secondly I often forget it (which may indicate a whole other realm of problems).

So far, I've considered the Wunderlich contraption which looks neither elegant nor secure and resembles a Star Wars modelling leftover.  Of the home brew solution, Octatonic's cam lock drilled into the top panel looks the favourite.

Thoughts?  I know there are those of us who whip the Nav off whenever they stop, that's great, but I'd rather be able to leave it in situ for those short stops.

Right, with one eye closed, and pressing 'send' with a long pointy stick - that's it.
RaistlinRTCW

Re: Nav 5 lock for RTLC

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I do use the Wunderlich one and to be honest its not that bad, it is secure enough for fuel stops etc and I only take it off when I get home or if I was staying over somewhere
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I previously posted pictures of my DIY fix, a aviation sheet metal screw in the push button, preventing the button from moving. It’s been 2 years and many days where the bike has been parked unattended, gps is still there. I’ve watched more than a few people drop there expensive Garmin’s removing and installing them
I do subscribe to the theory if someone really wants it they will get it
Buy the way with the windshield up the screw is easy to remove, so system updates are not a hassle, windshield parked screw is not accessible
Jim
Terry_RT

Post by Terry_RT »

T6pilot wrote: I previously posted pictures of my DIY fix, a aviation sheet metal screw in the push button, preventing the button from moving. It’s been 2 years and many days where the bike has been parked unattended, gps is still there. I’ve watched more than a few people drop there expensive Garmin’s removing and installing them
I do subscribe to the theory if someone really wants it they will get it
Buy the way with the windshield up the screw is easy to remove, so system updates are not a hassle, windshield parked screw is not accessible
Hey there, I m really interested in your solution. Do you have any photos or/and instructions to do it?
Thanks

Στάλθηκε από το SM-N950F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

all these moments shall be lost, like tears in the rain...
Rossyuk39
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

Yes, please see my post in the GPS thread, by buying a few BMW items, using central locking from either the nearside or offside storage (central locking connections) pods the SatNav V or Vi will be secured from the casual thief !

Hope this helps...

Rossy
Keep on the grey bits .....Rossy