Summer waterproofs

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Hodge

Summer waterproofs

Post by Hodge »

Help, Looking for some first hand experience.

I tend to run hot at the best of times but when i tour i need a jacket with big vents ideally on the shoulder and upper arm. I also need waterproof and don't want to have to insert a drop in liner or an overshot. so that leaves a goretex laminate jacket......any suggestions?
chrisvh

Re: Summer waterproofs

Post by chrisvh »

Stadler Airdraft. Expensive but briliant.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

From my experience anything that is waterproof whether it has vents or not is not going to keep you cool when the temperature rises. The best jacket I have experienced when it gets hot is my Rukka AirRider now updated to Forsair. Its made from a loose weave material that allows air to flow through the whole jacket. Combined with the Forsair gloves is the lightest and coolest gear I have worn, without sacrificing safety. Of cause its totally non waterproof. I carry Scott over jacket and trousers to cater for rain. I know you did not want a drop in waterproof liner or oversuit but if you want cool I can not see any other effect way. Vents I do not think are very effective especially on a RT where airflow tends to go around you.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I have a Klim Badlands jacket, that has huge vents, and is water proof (Gortex Pro - without the need for a liner)  With the vents open, it will let in rain.  However the vents open almost directly on to skin, so the cooling is immediate.  My model (and they have updated it) has 10 vents, plus the neck can be fastened open.

As a jacket it runs a little cold, but you can always wear a fleece underneath it.  It is more designed for adventure riding than touring, but it works.

This is my second season with it, and I am still impressed with it.

The biggest downside is the cost, sit down before looking at the price.
Best regards, Sleuth
Gar01821

Post by Gar01821 »

Hodge

Post by Hodge »

I did try the badlands (last years ) and it is a great jacket but with the vents on the upper area looking small it put me off. I have a winter jacket and a summer mesh, so i suspect the best solution is an over jacket waterproof. I was just trying to keep the gear light

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Waterproofs in the summer, surely unnecessary.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Hodge wrote: I did try the badlands (last years ) and it is a great jacket but with the vents on the upper area looking small it put me off. I have a winter jacket and a summer mesh, so i suspect the best solution is an over jacket waterproof. I was just trying to keep the gear light

Hi Hodge,

Yes the vents are not huge, but they are effective (as much as they can be behind the RT windscreen).  The vents on the upper arms on my model are a pain to open, as there are some fastenings across the opening.  However you can use them to have the upper arm vents wide open.

I have ridden all year round with it, and not had too much of an issue.  The winter cold was kept out by using a mid range Wolfskin fleece - not even a specified Bike thermal jacket.  It was more than adequate for the job.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth