Two Up Riding on a R 1200 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
cycler

Two Up Riding on a R 1200 RT

Post by cycler »

Hello everyone, new to this forum, with absolutely no experience with BMW motorcycles.  A little background;  my wife and I are planning to move to North Georgia shortly and we both want to get back into motorcycling.  The last 4 motorcycles were Harleys, but, we stopped riding in NJ as it was just getting a bit crazy around here traffic wise.  Anyway, at this point in my life, I am not too anxious to buy another HD, nor any motorcycle that weighs more than 800 lbs, so my question is this;  will the R 1200 RT handle two up touring without strain to the bike or passengers?  If it matters, our combined weight is 300 lbs.  Anyone on this forum who can share any insights, experiences, etc., would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Emilio
realshelby

Re: Two Up Riding on a R 1200 RT

Post by realshelby »

Well, let us just say your Harley has some nice points that allow two up riding in comfort. Maybe a bit more passenger room? But then there is the heat from the engine....

The RT puts out about 114 hp and 94 lb ft of torque to the rear wheel. Compare that to the Harley. And you don't have to rev the RT to get power. Above 3000 rpm it just goes. You will never find the place where in 6th gear at speed you need to downshift to pull a hill. Ever. Downshifting and full throttle WILL make you forget about the Harley as the acceleration is more than I think you are expecting! The agility and lighter weight pay big dividends in confidence. The air management is good stock, I make a windshield that really helps that and is a huge improvement for the passenger. You will have to get used to the control location and different seating ergonomics.

Hope to hear about your new RT soon!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
k900r

Post by k900r »

Hi! You haven’t said which model of RT you’re looking at. If it’s the LC (post 2014) model then it will have more power and a smoother ride.
Anyway any RT from 2005 - 2018 will be lighter than your 800lb Harley and will be perfect for two up riding.
My wife and I weigh more than your combined 300 and I’ve toured extensively with two different RTs throughout Europe Originally I had a 2005 and now I ride a 2014.
It’s such a perfectly balanced machine that two up with fully loaded luggage it will still motor fantastically - I done this throughout  the alps (Switzerland, Austria Italy etc) which is pretty much the definitive test for a touring bike in my opinion. My wife would say it’s much more pillion friendly (we’ve tested on different Harley’s) than any other Bike we’ve had.

Go for it, you won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cycler

Post by cycler »

Thank you both for your responses and insights.  As for which model, I thought that R 1200 RT is the model I am considering.  Anyway, I am fortunate that I can buy a new one.  The lighter weight, the more comfortable (less engine heat), and easier handling are what have me thinking about a BMW, in the first place.  Add in the factor that the area we hope to live in are all twisty, mountain roads....well, I think the BMW would be better suited to that type of riding.  Of course, YMMV on that last comment.  Regards, Emilio
davidr8
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Post by davidr8 »

We rented a 2015 RT for a week in Dec and were very happy with its two-up performance. 
If there was a hitch at all it was that because the panniers are so wide my partner had trouble getting her leg over them.

Doesn’t have that issue on our ST1300.

I would highly recommend some clear protection on the top of the RTs panniers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

I think all BMW dealers allow demo rides, You gotta ride one to really appreciate it.
Steve
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

cycler wrote: ...  will the R 1200 RT handle two up touring without strain to the bike or passengers? 
A picture is worth a thousand words ... [emoji847] This is my wife and I  five years ago about to head off on a two week tour.  2008 RT.  She started ridding her own bike about the time of this picture so we don't do two-up riding any more, but for the years we did the RT worked just fine for us in that mode.  Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

mcwhirtj, Wow! That’s an impressive luggage capacity with the smart trailer. Despite her now riding on her own bike, does she still insist that you tow it to accommodate all her ‘necessary’ holiday luggage....?? ;) :)
cycler

Post by cycler »

Once again, thanks to all who responded to my original question.  It has certainly been answered. 

MCWHIRTJ:  that is one impressive photo.  Leaves no doubt in my mind the R 1200 RT can do what I would want. 

Looks like our house sold today, so hopefully we will be riding the mountains of N. Ga. this fall.  Regard, Emilio
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

mcwhirtj wrote: A picture is worth a thousand words ... Image This is my wife and I  five years ago about to head off on a two week tour.  2008 RT.  She started ridding her own bike about the time of this picture so we don't do two-up riding any more, but for the years we did the RT worked just fine for us in that mode. 
As you say about pictures! Thanks for sharing it with us!
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

Far superior machine compared to a Harley. Go for it.
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

Steve F wrote: mcwhirtj, Wow! That’s an impressive luggage capacity with the smart trailer. Despite her now riding on her own bike, does she still insist that you tow it to accommodate all her ‘necessary’ holiday luggage....?? ;) :)
Lol.  Actually, we typically are motorcycle camping, and the little Unigo trailer holds camping gear; tent, sleeping bags, stove, etc.  But it does get less use since she started riding given added luggage capacity of second bike.  But the trailer is so convenient - last summer we were headed to Yosemite for a week of camping and I was packing the panniers and a duffle, which would have worked, but at some point said "the heck with this", and just tossed it all in the trailer and took it.  Specially one up, you truly forget it is there.  Single wheel trailers lean with the bike, and profile is so low you don't even see it in rear mirrors.  But we have both since switched to GS bikes and are gearing up for a year long expedition through Mexico, Central and South America, and we are planning and practicing for traveling much lighter (I.e., no trailer) for that!
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

That sounds like a fantastic trip, would be great if you could provide an ongoing diary or monthly round up to your huge trip :)