New To Forum

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
horand

New To Forum

Post by horand »

I'm an owner of a BMW F800 GT and have recently re-joined the biking fraternity after a lay off of 35 years!!!
I really fancy a R1200RT and I am informed by the local dealer that there is a 1250 CC model (150BHP) due to be brought to the market at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. This means there will be a lot of fresh current models that will hit the market in due course.
My interest is in understanding the comparative size difference in the F800 GT and the R1200RT and the difference that I would notice when either travelling at very low speed or when stopped? The R1200RT is physically a lot bigger and heavier and I'm a wee bit apprehensive and concerned that I might be biting off more than I can chew? I will of course arrange a test spin on a R1200RT in the near future.
Any comments from all R1200RT riders will be welcomed. I'm 5'10 and overweight at 203 lbs!!!!
Many Thanks
David

Gman1969

Re: New To Forum

Post by Gman1969 »

Welcome on board, you wont have any issues, I'm 5 9 I don't have any experience of your bike it will appear heavier moving around your garage but on the whole you should get on ok. I have a 16 plate one with gear shift pro and all other options apart from audio and it will be for sale September if you fancy as I'm looking to get the new model. :)
horand

Post by horand »

Thanks Gman1969
I bought the F800 from the local
BMW bike dealer In Belfast in Sept past and the dealer is keeping an eye out for a R1200RT at present.
I’m inclined to tradin if I can get a suitable deal. I’ll keep your suggestion in mind.
Thanks
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I think the R1200RT is one of the easiest big bikes to handle at low speeds. The only time it gets tricky is pushing it around and/or when fully loaded with 3 boxes, you have to really plan where you are going to stop. ie never park "nose in" to the kerb, (as you wont be able to pull the bike back up a slope), try to stop on level ground and don't put your feet down on gravel etc
horand

Post by horand »

Many Thanks
Great advice!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

If it's a "liquid cooled" model you're interested in you'll find they're easier to paddle around (and even easier with the optional low seat), but they're still heavy brutes to push around.

Your size shouldn't be an issue just as long as you're reasonably fit. I'm 70 and I just recently completed a 2 week, 3800 mile trip on my 2017 model, maybe that gives you a point of reference.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
horand

Post by horand »

Thanks
Great to hear of a 70 year old enjoying this size of bike!
You are obviously fit!
I appreciate your comments.

exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

[size=2px]Hi[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Welcome to the forum.  I'm the same height and not much lighter than you plus  I would certainly not consider my self fit but  I have no problems with it.  Yes its a bit heavy to move around in the garage etc  but once on the road its easy.  I have a 2016 LC with the standard seat.[/size]
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

horand wrote:
Great to hear of a 70 year old enjoying this size of bike!

Crikey, only 70, I had that particular birthday a good while ago. My own particular vintage can of course come with some physical limitations but riding an RT is not one of them. Pushing it around the garage or driveway is another story and care is required. There again, my own introduction to BMW ownership was with a couple of K1200 LT,s which tip the scales at about 370kg so I,m pleased to say I find the RT a doddle by comparison. (2013 Twin Cam).

Now why hasn’t this appeared in black and white ?.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Greetings and welcome.
You are taller than I and about the same weight.
I also worried about the size and weight of th RT but don't  - I am now on my third.
Just enjoy it.
Good luck.  8)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Echoing what's been said above, the RT is nimble on the move.  Paddling it about is better than many bikes because it carries it's weight low, but it is a heavy old girl if you have to push it far.  One thing I learned is that cylinder head protectors and those rubber bumper protectors from Halfords (about a tenner) which you stick along the bottom of panniers are a good investment.  They are no use at all if you chuck it down the road, but my only drop has been stationary so far and they caught all the scuffs.
horand

Post by horand »

To All Replies

Since you are all experienced in handling the R1200RT I take great comfort and guidance from your opinions.
This forum is a big help and I'll be tuning in on a regular basis to learn from you all.

I'm looking at a R1200RT in the local dealers this evening just to put the size and weight of the bike into perspective.

Many Thanks
horand

Post by horand »

Hi All
Had a sit on the R1200RT last night at the dealers.
I’m comfortable with it and confident it’s suitable.
I took it off the side stand and hand manoeurved it about and yes it’s a
big brute!
I’ll arrange a test drive soon.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Good luck with the test ride.
Bear in mind that the boxer engine and shaft drive can feel a little strange at first but, generally speaking, the further you ride them the better, and more natural, they feel. 
One piece of advice given to first time riders of the older BMWs was "don't change down to first while still moving" due to the shaft drive and low first gear, which could cause the rear wheel to skid.  This doesn't apply to any of the 1200s, which can be ridden like any similar chain driven bike.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

gogs01 wrote: One piece of advice given to first time riders of the older BMWs was "don't change down to first while still moving" due to the shaft drive and low first gear, which could cause the rear wheel to skid.  This doesn't apply to any of the 1200s, which can be ridden like any similar chain driven bike.

My camhead will clunk pretty heavily on a 2nd to 1st downshift but I can get around this by going to neutral, cluth out, rev, shift down. Kinda like a 'double clutch' move in a car or truck. Usually I don't bother as I'll more likely just go to neutral then stop and go into 1st.
'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition