Michelin Road 5 Compatibility

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Blueboy

Michelin Road 5 Compatibility

Post by Blueboy »

Hi
Does anyone know if the Road Pilot 4 tires are compatible with the new Road 5 ?
After 18,000 kms on the rear Pilot 4 it's time to replace it. I already have a new one on the front from last season. But I would like to try the Road 5. Can they work together or should I wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Michelin Road 5 Compatibility

Post by pwbike »

Even if they are (I can't see it being much of an issue), the heavy carcass version for large/heavy bikes like our RTs is not available yet.
So you can't get a Road 5 suitable just yet. I think mid-year was the expected release date for the GT version.
Peter
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As above, the Road 5 GT is not yet available, looking back at this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=0, it suggests that it won't appear this year (2018).

"The Pilot Road 4 GT remains our recommended fitment for your bike, and the standard Road 5 tyres are not recommended.
We are developing a Road 5 GT tyre, but it will not be available in 2018."
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

David. wrote: As above, the Road 5 GT is not yet available, looking back at this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=0, it suggests that it won't appear this year (2018).

"The Pilot Road 4 GT remains our recommended fitment for your bike, and the standard Road 5 tyres are not recommended.
We are developing a Road 5 GT tyre, but it will not be available in 2018."
Answered my questions, thank you much!
Ride safe . [emoji41]

Blueboy
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Blueboy wrote: Answered my questions, thank you much!
Ride safe . [emoji41]

Actually the Road 5 are available now for the RT. Just returned from my dealer...Also checked at other Quebec retailers.
My dealer in Quebec has them in stock and they are also available at other locations in this province.
Not compatible with the Pilot Road 4 reg or Pilot 4 GT because of the thread pattern differences.
So if you want them change them both.
Cheers.

Blueboy
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Blueboy wrote: Actually the Road 5 are available now for the RT. Just returned from my dealer...Also checked at other Quebec retailers.
My dealer in Quebec has them in stock and they are also available at other locations in this province.
Not compatible with the Pilot Road 4 reg or Pilot 4 GT because of the thread pattern differences.
So if you want them change them both.

Cheers.

Why is a tyre not compatible because the tread is a different pattern?

Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

futterweasel wrote:
Hmmm good question...I will call Michelin and ask them myself.

Blueboy
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

Michelin AU site still says use PR4 GT on large/heavy bikes.
Michelin International site still says use PR4 GT on large/heavy bikes.
Nothing about Road 5 GT still.
Peter
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Lockon2

Post by Lockon2 »

Just fitted Roadtec 01's to mine as the Road 5 GT for the rear may not make it until later in the year, with reference to mixing 4 and 5's I had a email a few years ago from Michelin when I asked the question about mixing the 3 and 4, I had new 3's fitted when I bought my bike  but had two punctures with in a month (not had any for years before that)  and they said it was no problem going up or down one eg: 2 and 3 or 3 and 4. This was for the UK.
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

David. wrote: Michelin (UK) ROAD 5 tyres, https://moto.michelin.co.uk/GB/en/tyres/products/road-5.html#
Yes, that;'s the same as the AU and International site, refers riders of GT bikes to the PR4.
Peter
donmarco

Post by donmarco »

As has been noted, the Road 5 GT is not yet available.  In dumping the Metzeler rubber, three weeks ago I opted for the Pirelli Angel GT "A" spec. and promptly took off for a 2500 mile ride from the Central Coast through various parts of Nevada, Utah and circled around to see some new sights, e.g., the train museum in Ely.

Weather was interesting.  From Salt Lake and the Bonneville Salt Flats, where I pondered setting a new land speed record for a fully loaded two up RT whereupon hopes were dashed as it wasn't speed week, we hit near freezing temperatures, rain, sleet and some snow. Interesting ride.  The Angels performed most excellently. A few days later en route to the Grand Canyon, we encountered heat and a boatload of wind.  Again, the Angels did fine.

This was my first set of Pirelli's on a moto, generally sticking to the Michelin line up as far back as 1985 on a r1000.  Prior thereto I used Dunlop on my '70 Bonneville.  I did use Michelin Road 4's on a K16gt and wore them out rapidly.

I plan on running the pants off the Angel pair to determine if I replace with the same or wait for the Michelin in 2019, however I'll need a new set of tires prior thereto and will again opt for the Angel GT.

By the way, Motul has a rebate going on with $15 off on the 4L jug.  Best oil on the planet.
austavla
Bike Model and Year: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Norway

Post by austavla »

Hi all.
I have just mounted the new Michelin road 5 on my 2015 BMW R1200RT. I have read that Michelin doesn't recommend these tires on the R1200RT, but the tires have the same load index as the Pilot Road 4 GT. I have just started at a 8000 km trip thru Europe. I will let you know when I'm home again 😊
It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
LAF

Post by LAF »

austavla wrote: Hi all.
I have just mounted the new Michelin road 5 on my 2015 BMW R1200RT. I have read that Michelin doesn't recommend these tires on the R1200RT, but the tires have the same load index as the Pilot Road 4 GT. I have just started at a 8000 km trip thru Europe. I will let you know when I'm home again 😊
This is why I will never by another Michelin tire again!

How can you build a tire that is speed rated and weight rated and then say you cant run it on a bike the meets those specs?

Total BS!

Then say you need to run this "special" GT version that cost more but has the same speed and weight rating?

More BS!

I had a set for my RT and sent them back because of Michelin saying I needed a GT version.

I now ride a GS so a moot point other then I think it is dishonest and misleading to make one pay more for a "GT" version even though it is the same speed and weight rating.  Now if they sold them at the same price no issue, but to do it this way is way wrong. 

As a side note I ran PR3 and they were a fine wearing tire.  The were not a "GT" tire but Michelin was happy to let me ride on them and I was very happy with the grip and wear of the PR3.  Now discontinued from what I read.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

LAF wrote: This is why I will never by another Michelin tire again!

How can you build a tire that is speed rated and weight rated and then say you cant run it on a bike the meets those specs?

Total BS!

Then say you need to run this "special" GT version that cost more but has the same speed and weight rating?

More BS!

I had a set for my RT and sent them back because of Michelin saying I needed a GT version.

I now ride a GS so a moot point other then I think it is dishonest and misleading to make one pay more for a "GT" version even though it is the same speed and weight rating.  Now if they sold them at the same price no issue, but to do it this way is way wrong. 

As a side note I ran PR3 and they were a fine wearing tire.  The were not a "GT" tire but Michelin was happy to let me ride on them and I was very happy with the grip and wear of the PR3.  Now discontinued from what I read.

I wouldn't let it put you off using Michelin Tyre's LAF, I've run 'non GT' PR4's for the past 9k miles on my RT with absolutely no issues, That's 2 up, 2 up touring & fully loaded, spirited riding on my own and even a bit of mild off road lol. I even run the PR4 Trail on my V-Strom because they give excellent feedback and 100% confidence during every situation I encounter. Michelin have, and will be, my first choice tyre for any type of bike! Hell, if I knew I was only going out during fine weather and without much baggage I'd be inclined to have a pair of Pilot Powers thrown on there :-D
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)