Greasing Splines

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
RhodesRash

Greasing Splines

Post by RhodesRash »

[size=2px]Hi to all my fellow bike enthusiasts![/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I’m a relative ‘newbie’ on this site, joining in the Fall of last year.[/size]
[size=2px] [/size]
[size=2px]I have a constant stream of bikes under my belt (all purchased new) starting in 1972 with a Triumph Bonneville 650cc, followed by a Bonneville 750, Triumph Trident 750, Moto Guzzi 850, then on to the BMW marque with a K75C, and a 1992 K75RT (which I still have). I lived in Germany for over 20 years and those bikes have taken me throughout Europe and Britain, and through Morocco, Turkey, and Egypt. Lots of great travelling! I moved back to Canada in 1994.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I bought a 2014 R1200RT last spring that had only 12000 km on it. I love the bike and have had no issues with it so far (other than fixing a few mindless, sloppy things the previous owner did with it) and now have ~34000 km on it (did a 17000 km coast-to-coast trip across Canada and back last summer).[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]What I enjoy about this forum, other than there being some very good information provided, is the confidence it instills in me about the bike, as there really aren’t that many issues being discussed.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Sorry about blowing my own horn, so on to my first question. [/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Greasing the splines from the clutch back to the final drive in the K75 (and the K100) was like a right of passage. It HAD to be done regularly. Haynes offers information on greasing the splines in the R1200, but I’ve never seen any info anywhere as to whether it should be done after a specific distance has been reached on the bike.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Does anybody have any thoughts or info they can provide on the subject?[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Thanks ..... Malcolm[/size]
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Greasing Splines

Post by simbo »

Hi Malcolm, I dropped the FD on my 2011 TC model at 15k (ish) miles to check the splines on the diff and shaft were lubed up? Although there was no signs of excessive wear or rust,there was minimum lubrication on the aforementioned parts to say the least, I gave both the diff splines and shaft splines a good coating of Honda 60% Moly Paste ('paste' not grease) which is a highly recommended deterrent for any signs of wear under the extreme pressures of a shaft drive motorcycle, It's something I'll have a look at every 2nd service (12k) just to be on the safe side.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
RhodesRash

Post by RhodesRash »

[size=2px]Hi simbo. Thanks for the reply. [/size]
[size=2px]I didn’t know about greasing splines on my K75RT and it turned out to be a very expensive oversight. When I finally did check, after several years and many km’s, things had gone too far and I had to replace the driveshaft and the final drive because of spline wear. Since then I’ve used a paste on the K75 called ‘Optimol Paste white T’ by Castrol, which I purchased through MotoBins. It’s listed in my K75 Haynes as being recommended. There is nothing listed in the Haynes R1200 but it must be okay for the R1200 as well.[/size]
[size=2px]Did you pull the driveshaft and lube the splines at the front end of the shaft as well? It somehow appears to be more daunting than on the K75.[/size]
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

I have an 05.  To change the fd fluid you must seperate the final drive to drain the old fluid.  That is when i lube the spline.  It usually happens before every 2nd oil chg.  Moly paste works.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk