Clatter on Start Up

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Clatter on Start Up

Post by Our Gee »

Having owned three RT,s over the years I am quite familiar with the Cam Chain Tensioner clatter that can be heard for a few seconds on startup after the bike has been standing for some time. However, the other day when I started up (2013 Twin Cam RT) the noise did go on for longer than usual. After an hours run, stopping and restarting the engine everything was fine. The engine had previously been run five days previously. Any thoughts as to this in general and is there anything to be aware of.
Thanks.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Clatter on Start Up

Post by David. »

Coincidently, was out with a guy recently on a Hexhead GS. His bike had too suffered from cam chain rattle on start up. Having thought that changing the oil viscosity might help, he reverted to changing the cam chain tensioner(s). Looking at the respective Haynes manuals for Hexheads & Camheads, they appear to be very similar, if not the same in design. On start up now, it's like a new bike.
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

OK...so it's an internal combustion engine.  Mechanical noise is NORMAL !  JUST enjoy the bike !  It might be noisy for another 150,000 miles ! STOP worrying about it !
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted
Last edited by Boxflyer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Reading this article, http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcncct.pdf, suggests that "prevention is better than cure".
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Many thanks for the informative replies chaps. I have modified my post to include my bike’s model / year which of course I should have done in the first place. Also to add a bit more detail I should have said that the rattle is only apparent on “pulling away”  ie, when the engine is under load, albeit a fairly light load. I intend to try it again today as the bike has been unused for nearly a week. And thanks for your concern Freyguy but I’m now at the chapter of life where it takes a hell of a lot more than an engine rattle to get me worried but appreciate your concern all the same. Stand by for update later today !!.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Before setting off, would allowing the bike to idle until the oil-level reminder "tick" symbol appears on the BC help with diagnostics.

The "tick" symbol only shows "when the engine is hot, running & in neutral".

Has the engine oil viscosity been changed, or any other maintenance been carried out prior to the problem occurring.

I'm sure you know your own bike, if it's any help, my bike has now been stood for over a week, we could compare noises.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for that David, we could try that sometime. Although I’m just back from a 70 mile run and on a cold start-up this morning, idle for no more than five seconds, then pulling away everything was fine, no sign of a rattle at all.
So maybe it was just a glitch or maybe something “sticking” if that’s possible. The oil that’s in at the moment is the BMW Dealer 15/50 stuff which was put in at the last Dealer service about 4000 miles / 16 months ago. No other Engine Maintenance done by me since. I do have some Castrol 15/50 on the shelf so it might just be a good idea to drop the oil this weekend and put the fresh stuff in as an interim measure before my next 6000 mile service.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

One reason I stuck with the Castrol 10w50 viscosity range is it might just help with cold starts.

I'll wait for someone else to come along & say, it's over due an oil change, (every 12 months, irrespective of the mileage if less than 6K).

Not to mention, only use a genuine BMW oil filter, (I now use Hiflo filters).

Also, I'm considering using an engine flush at my next oil change, it may help to remove any deposits from components that may stick e.g. cam chain tensioners.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Yes I myself was expecting plenty of “incoming” about the 12 month oil change but what the heck. I won’t go into my reasoning for ignoring that particular BMW requirement so we will leave it there. As regards an engine flush you do have a point David so I’ll have a think about that one. I’m not a big fan of letting an RT idle, they never seem happy to me chugging away on tickover blueing the headers. I got caught out twice with traffic halts this morning, at Northallerton Rail crossing and the other at temporary lights in Stokesley and I switched off both times. Incidently when doing the oil / filter change today the filter was a right bugger to get off (dealer fitted at last service), nearly convinced myself I was trying to turn it the wrong way !!. For the record I have fitted a BMW Filter and 4 litres of Pertronas Syntium 800 15w-50.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

My '11' clatters sometimes after standing for a while, only a couple of seconds after start up though! probably while the oil pressure builds up,  I've never really give it much thought as most engine's clatter after standing for a while and letting the oil drain down to the sump. Nature of the beast I suppose! Check the magnet on your sump plug, If there's a piston stuck to it? you've got a problem  Image

ps. yes I know Aluminium doesn't stick to magnets, You'll find them in your filter if they've fell off!    ;)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Magnetic sump plugs aren't standard on TC RT's, retrofitted one to mine, https://www.nippynormans.com/k1200s/mag ... 000-series
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

When I first got my 2006 RT I too was concerned about the brief rattle on start up. Leaving on the side stand was one answer I received, and using a slightly heavier oil was another. Using the centre stand apparently helps to retain oil evenly in the top end and I did change to a mildly thicker oil, this did help in my case as I rarely hear any rattle now hot or cold. Just a thought..