Lack of attachment points for bungies

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Lack of attachment points for bungies

Post by jackronner »

For a machine which is supposedly the ultimate touring machine,  I'm surprised at the lack of attachment points. All I can see are the rear passenger handles (whose curve allows bungie hooks to slide unrestrained forward and back, if the hooks even fit on them) and the peg assemblies.  I, probably inadvisedly, used part of the license plate assembly without ill effect on a tour, but I wonder if it won't give way eventually.  Bummer.

I've seen after-market add-ons that must be drilled into the plastic body panels,  but I don't feel that plastic would withstand a heavy load.  Not like the old metal tubular racks, etc.  On a cheap trunk/top box on my last bike,  I screwed a heavy eyebolt through the forward wall of the box with large flat washers inside and out, and it worked very well.  It was higher up, not buried under the load, and permitted easy detachment of the bungies.  It also minimized trunk bouncing over rough roads.  I hesitate to try that on the RT because a) desecration, and b) it seems that the walls are not solid, probably with an insulated or honeycombed core, which I fear would not take the stresses without cracking the box's walls.  Anyone ever seen a cross-section of a wrecked one (hopefully not yours)?  Any other solutions out there?
ds99

Re: Lack of attachment points for bungies

Post by ds99 »

You could cable-tie some small plastic "hoops" onto the rear passenger grab handles? That would stop them sliding around?

ie similar to these plastic shower curtain hoops

ds99

Post by ds99 »

Or use ROK straps and loop them through the grab handles or passenger footpeg hanger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezfXoCwaJzY
Last edited by ds99 on Tue May 29, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

ROK straps are good, Helen Twowheels possibly even better and, for the cheapskates among us, talk to your BMW dealer and ask for some of the straps which come with every new bike securing it in the crate.  No elastic, just adjustable webbing. None of them will slip & scratch as badly as bungees.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

+1 for ROK straps, they stay put on grab handles, no scratching
Jim
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Short of drilling an eye bolt into the passenger grab handles, don't think anything stops the bungies from sliding.

What I'm considereng is buying security cord (plastic-encased woven metal with two fixed loops at the ends), threading a loop around the underside attachment points on the top box to the base, securing the loop with a zip tie, then using the end loops to take the bungie hooks.  This has the benefit I described above of having a higher attachment point for easy release.  I could then hook a bungie onto the front of the handles, pushing the load rearward so it doesn't slip forward and overlap the front seating position.  On a long tour (this summer I'm going from San Francisco to Quebec and back thru Canada in the heat)  I put a lot of stuff off to the side of the main load (large water bottles and other things that can be removed quickly without unpacking the whole load).  I usually secure the main load with two heavy duty rubber bungies, crossing them over the top and putting a large carabiner where they  cross.  I then secure the side load items to that carabiner and use a long bungie placed horizontally to keep them from flapping around in the wind (passing it under the main crossed bungies).  On days over 100 fahrenheit, having a large water bottle with a short hose allows me to keep my clothing wet at all times, and I've ignored 116 F temps with glee!  Still, you'd think BMW would have considered this issue in its original design.  Sheesh.  Thanks for the input, everybody.
Lockon2

Post by Lockon2 »

+1 Rok  straps - just done a 2400 mile tour up to and around Scotland, they fit perfectly on the passenger handles and leave no marks. Had a large tent, roll mat and sleeping bag on the back with no problems - also just takes a minute to fit or remove your kit.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

For those of us that actually do a lot of touring, I am going to suspect you won't find many "bungie straps" on their gear. To many lost straps and items when using them.

While there are limited attachment points, I have found the passenger hand holds to be adequate. I use Rok-Straps and some dedicated tie down gear that Dry-Spec gear comes with.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

realshelby wrote: For those of us that actually do a lot of touring, I am going to suspect you won't find many "bungie straps" on their gear. To many lost straps and items when using them.

While there are limited attachment points, I have found the passenger hand holds to be adequate. I use Rok-Straps and some dedicated tie down gear that Dry-Spec gear comes with.

I do a lot of touring and I find that with the rack on my top box and occasional space behind me when wifey isn't with me, I have reasonable tie down space. And for tie downs? I use 1/4" sailing rope.
I tie either to the rack on the top box or the grab rails and they are pretty much perfect. I prevent marking the grab rails with a small towel. Perfect and very solid. Those years in the navy have helped out with the bends and hitches I use!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Rok straps all the time! Forget bungees with hooks.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Bungies on a BMW? How very dare you!