Sena SRL Bluetooth Communication System

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
jbarr

Sena SRL Bluetooth Communication System

Post by jbarr »

Hi folks:

I have been looking for a comms system for my 2017 r1200rt which has the radio and NAV VI.  I have a SHOEI Neotec II helmet and I see that Sena has the new SRL Bluetooth Communication System that is specifically designed for use with this helmet.  I am wondering if anyone has used this system with the NAV VI and BMW stereo system.  I would be pairing my i-phone as well.  The dealer is telling me I should purchase the BMW comm system because other systems may not work as well with the bike. The BMW system is $$$!  Can anyone using the SRL share their experience?
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Sena SRL Bluetooth Communication System

Post by Rambler358 »

Don't go with the BMW system. The Sena SRL setup should work just fine.
Shakleton

Post by Shakleton »

jbarr wrote: Hi folks:

I have been looking for a comms system for my 2017 r1200rt which has the radio and NAV VI.  I have a SHOEI Neotec II helmet and I see that Sena has the new SRL Bluetooth Communication System that is specifically designed for use with this helmet.  I am wondering if anyone has used this system with the NAV VI and BMW stereo system.  I would be pairing my i-phone as well.  The dealer is telling me I should purchase the BMW comm system because other systems may not work as well with the bike. The BMW system is $$$!  Can anyone using the SRL share their experience?
I have 17RT the BMW Radio, a Nav VI a Neotec and a Sena 10u. This set up has consumed hours of my life to try to get it to work satisfactorily.

The answer depends in part on whether you ride with a pillion, I do so I need comms and ideally a pass through/sharing of music.

My understanding is that the BMW Bluetooth set up is ancient. It will log in only one person so music sharing is out. The radio set up has limited functionality with the wonderwheel and less with the Nav VI. The Sena Remote is better and does more. The BMW system offers a usb /phone connection for music but the info displayed on the small RT screen is limited and it takes an age to load. Why do this when the Nav VI can stream music.

I have a Samsung Phone, your IPhone will link better with the Nav VI and display more information but will have limited control from the wonderwheel - menu and scroll left.......hmm pretty pointless. So unless you really love radio I would go with Sena and not BMW.

I pair my helmet for comms with my wife then the Nav VI to the Sena as a phone for Satnav directions. I then pair my phone to the Sena as a second phone. This allows music and control via the Sena Remote on the handlebar ( play, pause, volume and next or previous track) .I have comms with my wife which interrupt the music and which resumes when comms end but I cannot share my music with her. So she pairs  her Sena with her IPhone for her music. I don’t bother with phone calls.

Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Thanks for the comments....very helpful.