Installing Stebel Nautilus LOUD horn / Wunderlich fitting kit on 2016 LC

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sprintgull

Installing Stebel Nautilus LOUD horn / Wunderlich fitting kit on 2016 LC

Post by Sprintgull »

Morning All,
Like many of you I thought that the standard little 'peep' horn was not befitting to the RT's presence and majesty. So, I bought a Stebel Nautilus and the correct Wunderlich fitting kit from our good friends Nippy Normans. Here are some suggestions on fitting.

First, I took off all the Tupperware and speaker grille on the right side (as you sit on it) of the bike. Quick and easy, but watch out for the locating tabs on the side panel and ease it off gently. The biggest challenge was placing the relay somewhere out of the way and where all of the wires would reach. In the end this was on the right hand side of the bike on the metal subframe up front. There's a silver threaded bolt hole near enough under the mirror (see pic). I don't have the audio (why do you need a wireless on a motorbike?) so there's a lot of space under the grille. The wires down to the horn run across under the instruments, with a cable tie around the mounting beam that takes the horn bracket. They just about reach. The earth wire is behind the relay on the same bolt. I ran the switched live from the positive post beside the battery, up under the seat so the fuse is easy to get at, then back down the same way and forward to the relay.

The horn itself is easy enough the attach to the bracket and then bolt to the headstock supporting beam. It is just a bit fiddly because of the restricted space. It is a neat fit though.

Issues: When first fitted the relay didn't switch. This turned out to be the Wunderlich canbus plug which attaches to the bike's wiring using the horn connector was duff. One of the pins was not secured and so just pushed back into the plug. A little bit of packing and superglue sorted that, although NN are sending a replacement. The horn just made a funny farting noise. Switched the wires over and PAAAAARPPPPPP. Very loud.

Hopes that helps those of you considering the same mod. Pleased I did it.
Attachments
DSC_1169.jpg
DSC_1171.jpg
Littlebriar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Installing Stebel Nautilus LOUD horn / Wunderlich fitting kit on 2016 LC

Post by Littlebriar »

I installed one earlier this year. It's definitely loud and will be noticed. Didn't know that a bracket was available so I made my own. It was an easy install including the relay. I do occasionally get an open fault code. I don't think the relay draws enough current to let the computer know the horn has activated. Would be interested in how others solved this problem.
Steve
Sprintgull

Re: Installing Stebel Nautilus LOUD horn / Wunderlich fitting kit on 2016 LC

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi Steve

Yes, here's the link to the kit: https://www.nippynormans.com/horns-and- ... aster-horn

Sorry, a bit late for you, but others may find it handy.