Ijmuiden to Prague

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
gogs01

Ijmuiden to Prague

Post by gogs01 »

I'm planning a trip to Bulgaria this year and I'll be crossing the North Sea from North Shields (Newcastle) to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam).
My first target is Prague and I'd like to get there as quickly as possible (and spend more time there),  so my question is : 
Is it realistic to aim to ride from Ijmuiden to Prague in one day ?
My route planner says around 560 miles and 9 hours, both of which sound a lot, but I've spoken to people who say they have done it - so, is it realistic ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Jimcg

Re: Ijmuiden to Prague

Post by Jimcg »

The distance doesn’t look over ambitious  in a day I did a similar mileage up through France last month. The time quoted doesn’t include breaks and I personally find stopping every two hours or so is best for me as I then don’t end up too tired.  Also there are a lot of roadworks on the German motorway network and these can add quite a bit of time to your day. Enjoy your trip.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

A lot depends on how experienced you are,  do you regularly ride long distances  and how familiar are you with riding on the continent.    As you are asking the question I would expect that you have not ridden for this length of time or distance before. In which case I would certainly avoid spending 4+ hours fatigued on German autobahns.  Its a recipe for disaster.  Personally I would look at 6 hours max  riding in a day with as already suggested a break every 2 hours or so.  That way if you are delayed you have a little slack  so you are not chasing your tail to get to a location  on unfamiliar roads and driving conditions.
When you stop  make sure you have a drink and a light meal/ snack  ( Big meals will make you sleepy)  If you are making good time and are feeling fine  you can divert of the Autobahn and take to the nicer  roads for a break.  Look to enjoy the journey  rather than be stressed.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, I tend to agree with what exportman has commented on re your own experience of long distance European riding and recommended daily duration in the saddle (6 hrs is plenty). Light meals/snacks with plenty of water (or similar) to make sure you stay alert and hydrated, seeing that autobahn traffic is not for the faint hearted, especially when the Beemers, Mercs and Porsches pass as if you're stood still!!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Thanks for the input guys, all comments noted and appreciated.

I've actually done a lot of miles on the continent and, on a few occasions, done high daily mileages.  However, in recent years I've used a route planner and aimed for around 6 hours riding per day.  In fact, as I get closer to Hungary / Romania / Bulgaria, I intend to plan for fewer than 6 hours to allow more time for delays, photo opportunities and just soaking up the feel of these places.

My question about Ijmuiden to Prague was prompted by seeing the route planner coming up with 9 hours and a friend saying it was an "easy" one-day ride.  Is it likely there are enough miles of unrestricted autobahn to cut the 9 hours significantly ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

gogs01 wrote: My question about Ijmuiden to Prague was prompted by seeing the route planner coming up with 9 hours and a friend saying it was an "easy" one-day ride.  Is it likely there are enough miles of unrestricted autobahn to cut the 9 hours significantly ?

I would say unlikely, the  Germans are doing a lot of work on their Autobahn network with speed restrictions    Nothing like as bad as the UK, but never the less likely to negate any lightspeed travel