A2DP Bluetooth Connection to Sena Helmet - Audio Quality

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
davidtn

A2DP Bluetooth Connection to Sena Helmet - Audio Quality

Post by davidtn »

What has been your experience with the audio quality from your A2DP sat. radio pairing to your Sena? I've had various Androids paired with 3 different models of Senas over the years using the phone as my audio source (Pandora in this case), and each time the helmet speaker quality has been quite good. I recently paired my Sat. radio using A2DP (NAV V - 2015RT) and the audio quality is HORRIBLE.  Any insights as to why and what can I do to improve it? I’d really rather not have to add more gadgets to the bike
IBA # 41940
Sleuth

Re: A2DP Bluetooth Connection to Sena Helmet - Audio Quality

Post by Sleuth »

Caveat: I have a Nav IV so experiences might differ.

Normally the Bluetooth connection is quite good, and listening to music is pleasurable.  However every so often it does not connect properly, and the audio is very tinny.  It is using a different connection.

Is it possible that this can be related?
Best regards, Sleuth
carpedatum

Re: A2DP Bluetooth Connection to Sena Helmet - Audio Quality

Post by carpedatum »

It has been pretty bad for me on both my current 2016 R1200RT and my previous bike, a 2014 K1600GT.  Same audio system from BMW on both bikes, I think.

I achieved some improvement by adding an aftermarket bluetooth transmitter (Brightech DoublePlay HD), hooked up via an ground loop noise isolator (made by Mpow), and an Autocom Stereo Unswitched Interface posi-tapped into the speaker wires.  Then I disconnected the front speakers, as I never use them.  Power for the bluetooth transmitter is supplied by a uxcell waterproof DC/DC voltage converter wired to my PDM60.  Most of this little pile of gadgets and wire sits in that little open spot behind the rear seat.

Yep, I know, a lot more goo to add to your bike than you'd like.  I didn't care for it either - call it an act of desperation that was at least reasonably effective.

The result can sometimes take a little time to link up (much quicker if the Sena is turned on before the bike is started) but is reliable and mitigates a lot of noise.  You get volume control via the Wonderwheel.  Audio is certainly serviceable at least for spoken-word channels such as news and sports.  It is less noisy than stock, but certainly not audiophile quality, for music channels.

This all simply tells me that BMW's bluetooth module is just outdated.  If there were a modern aftermarket replacement, I'd certainly buy one, and I'll bet the Sena folks would make good money on such a product if they built one.