New member from Canada

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Marc67

New member from Canada

Post by Marc67 »

Hello everyone,

I came back to motorcycling 3 years ago after a 25 years break. At that time I bought a Versys 1000 2014 on which I had a lot of fun and confirmed that I am back to motorcycling for good. 37,000 kms in 2 and half years of riding BTW we cannot ride more than 8 months a year her where I live.

So yesterday I signed for a 2018 Carbon black metallic which I should pick up by the end of next week as it is still in the crate.

I am happy to join this forum and hope I could get some interesting and useful informations and eventually contribute also.

Cheers

temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New member from Canada

Post by temesvar »

Welcome to the forum. It helps to mention where are you from, may have some members near by.
Just like you, I quit riding for 26 years. A few years back decided to ride again, and never looked back!
RT is a great long distance riding motorcycle, Enjoy your bike and send us pictures! :kacsint2:
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Welcome fellow Canuck!  Seems to be a common story.  I returned to the bike this year, after a 29 year hiatus.  Purchased a new 2017 rt that I picked up in May and am just shy of 3K on the odometer.  Planning a cross Canada trip next year....St. John's, NL to Whitehorse, Yukon.  Loving the rt, as I am sure you will.  Take it slow ....I rode for many years prior to my hiatus and even taught the CSC Safety Course for years and I couldn't believe how rusty I was when I drove the rt for the first time.  But the skills are returning quickly!  PS - I watched a series of videos at www.mcrider.com which I found to be a really good refresher on the technical and safety aspects of riding.  Ride Safe!
Marc67

Post by Marc67 »

Thank you Canucks for your welcoming!

jbarr thank you for the link attached to your message, this site seems to be very interesting. I may certainly spend a few hours on this website channel during long Canadian winter's evenings.
Last edited by Marc67 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Soyez les bienvenus.  I'm half-Canucklehead myself, and my sis lives in Vancouver.  I'll be touring from the S.F. Bay Area up to Quebec City via the Blue Ridge parkway and NYC, then turning around to go cross-Canada.  Got the RT last year expressly for this. 

BTW, you can click on a members name and their address is often given.  Even without it, there always seems to  be a map with a red pip showing where you live.  It's about 10 miles off in my case, and it does seem a little Big Brotherish if one chooses not to list an address.  Smile, you're on Google Camera!  Happy trials, or bonne route.
mack62

Post by mack62 »

Welcome aboard.  I also ended a 20+ year break from motorcycling when I moved from Canada to the UK.  Was partially motivated by the longer season and also the traffic here is so terrible that often the bike is the best way to get around.  :'(  Enjoy your new ride. 
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
Bobf

Post by Bobf »

Hi Marc;
There is a creat club in Laval, where you live.
Rides on Wednesday and Saturday.
Discounts, info, training, etc.... and a few 1200 rt riders like myself.
http://www.amlaval.org/index.php
Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young
Marc67

Post by Marc67 »

Thank you all for your welcoming.

After 600km, I could say that I love this bike. It is exactly what I was looking for. Very smooth and pleasant to ride.

I appreciate the character of the boxer engine which doesn't have the power of the K1600 but is much more "alive".

Thank you Bobf for the info on the Laval club, I'll have alook and may join for a few rides, even if I am not a fan of goup rides. I prefer to rde at my own pace which is... let's say "dynamic"!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Marc67 wrote: Thank you all for your welcoming.

After 600km, I could say that I love this bike. It is exactly what I was looking for. Very smooth and pleasant to ride.

I appreciate the character of the boxer engine which doesn't have the power of the K1600 but is much more "alive".

Thank you Bobf for the info on the Laval club, I'll have alook and may join for a few rides, even if I am not a fan of goup rides. I prefer to rde at my own pace which is... let's say "dynamic"!
  Ha ha.  I have the same dynamics problem.  I'm starting out tomorrow from the San Francisco area to Quebec City, then back trans-Canada.  Solo!  It also preserves the vagaries of the vagabond:  no set schedule, taking unplanned detours and lingering at will without worrying about the rest of the group. That's what motorbikes were made for.
Marc67

Post by Marc67 »

Have a great and safe ride jackronner!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Merci tres bien, Marc.